Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
I decide to buy 2 Smart Electric Drive for city usage and now I have few question from experts :)

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Daytime

I have a lot of experience with Tesla batteries, I made a DIY Tesla Power wall with 40kWh of storage for my home usage on PV system, but since smart batteries seems to be different than Tesla I have few questions regarding charging procedure. I will leave a link from my project on Tesla. https://youtu.be/jHtLdR4Mv5g

For example, I use my Tesla batteries in a safer way. Usually I discharge them to 50-60% and charge to 85-90%, of course I made this via PV inverter and I set my voltages.

Since in Smart we don't have this option to limit the change voltage or percent I write some codes in my smart home automation that will disconnect a module that stop charge my car. In this way I prevent the car to be charged to 100%. It's my beta Smart software, basically, just select the actual percent of battery from car, and the home will deliver rest of kwh to fill the battery to around 90%. I will receive a push notification that announce me that the car start charging and at the end also will send me a push notification that inform that the car is ready to drive, and how many kWh has been charged. Font Material property Gadget Technology Electric blue Font Sky Screenshot Astronomical object Terrestrial plant Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

I'm curious what kind of charger you use for home charging, use the stock one or else?
I found also on Alixpress this one, someone has some experience with? I order one for tests and reviews, I plan to mount outside, so I just plug the cable and charge. If will be ok I will order 2, I don't want to fight with my wife for charging. :))

I plan to use SMART from 40% to 90%, so once car reach 40-50% SOC I will charge to 90-95%.
How you guys charge the car? How deep you go on your battery? You chage to 100% or bellow?
Thanks

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
390 Posts
"I will leave a link from my project on Tesla. https://youtu.be/jHtLdR4Mv5g"
- Broken link - I couldn't get this to work.
"I'm curious what kind of charger you use for home charging, use the stock one or else?
I found also on Alixpress this one, someone has some experience with? "
USA charging style is not the same as Europe/ GB.
All level 2 and higher power wall or power post units in the U.S., at home as well as at any charging stations, almost always have a charging cable attached permanently. AFAIK you, in the EU, must have a cable to carry around in the car to connect between the charging station, wall unit or power post and the car.
We in the U.S. usually do not need to carry around a cable for level 2 charging power stations. For home use, our level 2 cable is either hard wired permanently to the garage wall, or plugged in at the wall with various 240v wall outlet sockets. IF it is plugged in, then it can be carried around obviously, but unless you have a destination where you know you will need it, we usually do not carry it with the car.
(Destinations that usually need a power cable are typically a campground that allows RV's to plug in, or at some marinas. Or you have a friend's house with a convenient clothes dryer outlet that can used!)
But for recharging like at the supermarket or mall, the stations have cables with either a j772 plug, a CCS1 plug, or tesla's proprietary plug.

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
The battery never charges to 100% even though your gauge says it does. When the battery is charged to "100%" per the gauge, it actually is only at 96% or so according to the battery test units. That's enough of a safety factor for me. Been just charging my three to the displayed 100% for seven years with no issues. I typically don't let my cars go below 20% or so, but I have had them under 5% a few times.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 22,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 23,000 miles
2015 EV Coupe 21,000 miles

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
143 Posts
I believe that in the European distribution area you have access to a Smart app that allows you to schedule charging time and state of charge remotely. The application is not available in the U.S.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The battery never charges to 100% even though your gauge says it does. When the battery is charged to "100%" per the gauge, it actually is only at 96% or so according to the battery test units. That's enough of a safety factor for me. Been just charging my three to the displayed 100% for seven years with no issues. I typically don't let my cars go below 20% or so, but I have had them under 5% a few times.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 22,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 23,000 miles
2015 EV Coupe 21,000 miles
Nice te hear that the real SOC is bellow, indeed is a safety method. I will not let them go unde 40-45% on discharge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe that in the European distribution area you have access to a Smart app that allows you to schedule charging time and state of charge remotely. The application is not available in the U.S.
I call Smart about APP and still wait their answer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Nice te hear that the real SOC is bellow, indeed is a safety method. I will not let them go unde 40-45% on discharge.
We've seen a fair number of battery test reports from users in the field and the degradation on the Smart EDs and EQs appears to be very, very slight with usage and time.

Your overall plan is very sound, but please don't get concerned with actually using the car the way Smart/MB designed it to be used. On occasions when your driving needs require it, please don't feel anxiety that you're "hurting" the car. Lots of these cars are driven down to 5% or below on a repeating basis and they handle it just fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know the app, will be nice to have, but I think need new hardware.

Also someone activate Apple CarPlay? I have only android auto, and I'm an iPhone user 🙇‍♂️

1 - 11 of 11 Posts