Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a good running Mercedes 3cyl 698cc smart fortwo engine, from 2005 g&k 450 fortwo smart car
-84k engine, see it run & drive (or request a video), $1000 (reduced 10/31), complete with accessories, will pull when I have a buyer, even will throw in exhaust, etc
-engine with 6-speed automatic-manual trans $1200 (2005 , 2.73 6th gear)
-engine&trans with complete electronics package, EVERYTHING $1900

No body parts or misc other parts not listed will be available. Please contact me with a complete list of what you're looking for, for a price, if you are interested in .....................ANY electronics such as ECU, SAM, fusebox, wiring harness, computer, or similar

or complete running & driving car w/ clean wa title $3500

prices are firm

please send pm with your contact info for a prompt response, I will consider shipping for serious buyers who won't back out after I go through the work to get quotes or remove etc.

·
I'll figger this car out
222 Posts
I have a good running Mercedes 3cyl 698cc smart fortwo engine, from 2005 g&k 450 fortwo smart car
-84k engine, see it run & drive (or request a video), $1200, complete with accessories, will pull when I have a buyer
-engine with 6-speed automatic-manual trans $1300 (2005 , 2.73 6th gear)
-engine&trans with complete electronics package, EVERYTHING $1900

No body parts or misc other parts not listed will be available. Please contact me with a complete list of what you're looking for, for a price, if you are interested in .....................ANY electronics such as ECU, SAM, fusebox, wiring harness, computer, or similar

or complete running & driving car w/ clean wa title $3500

prices are firm

please send pm with your contact info for a prompt response, I will consider shipping for serious buyers who won't back out after I go through the work to get quotes or remove etc.
Do you knbow if this power train will fit without mods in the 2008 series smart 451?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Reduced $950 engine (complete includes accessories, even exhaust, muffler, etc
$1150 engine & trans complete
$1550 complete engine, trans & all matching electronics (ecu, sam, harness, etc)

Please send private message through this forum if seriously interested

·
17,360 Posts
Do you knbow if this power train will fit without mods in the 2008 series smart 451?
Not without a lot of mods.
This engine would be a massive downgrade. These engines put out less power than your 451's engine does. Think my 450s take a leisurely 16 seconds to reach 60.
The 451 frame is bigger and heavier than a 450, so a transplanted 450 engine will perform even worse. I doubt you'll even retain the 450 engine's good fuel economy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not without a lot of mods.
This engine would be a massive downgrade. These engines put out less power than your 451's engine does. Think my 450s take a leisurely 16 seconds to reach 60.
The 451 frame is bigger and heavier than a 450, so a transplanted 450 engine will perform even worse. I doubt you'll even retain the 450 engine's good fuel economy.
I think it would be a lot of work to swap into the 451 but the small difference in body/chassis weight wouldn't be an issue and I have a feeling you would gain worthwhile mpg's. the 700cc 450 has no problem maintaining good 40+ mpg's and adequate acceleration with 400+lbs of passenger/driver and 200-400lbs of cargo upto 70+ mph cruising speeds so the extra ~200 lbs (just looking at wikipedia) isn't going to make a difference. The shifting/gearing of the transmission and engine torque are more important to look at than hp of the engines alone. The pre 2006 450 fortwo gear ratios seem to have a good gear ratio for both quick acceleration from a stop and decent (low/reasonable ) rpm's at top cruising speed.

Performance for a "city car" is all relative and I suspect there is a small subset of drivers who rather like the gocart feeling and jerky shifting of the earlier type. Completely adequate acceleration and perhaps more fun for some to drive than the slightly less jerky and marginally "faster shifting" (or 1.5 seconds less in 0-60) 451 type...

Anyway still looking for a buyer. happy to send a video or any other info, I will post these parts all individually to ebay at some point if no one comes along sooner, thanks again for looking!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts