Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings:

Just purchased a 2005 Smart Car 450 Passion diesel. It is my first experience with a Smart Car. It has been in a front collision with a deer. While I have done a little bodywork before, I believe not seeing the car before the damage will hinder me. Are there repair manuals out there for these cars? Also, would those with more experience possibly share where they have had good luck getting parts? I do not mind after market parts at all. I am in Southeast Iowa, and my closest Smart Car Dealer is about 200 i miles away. Thanks for any help you can give.

Kerry

·
Registered
663 Posts
Good morning Keery and congrats on the purchase.

I suspect you will be buying most of your parts from Canadian Mercedes dealers as they will be able to provide you parts and expertise on the 450. The US dealers will not. Smart madness in LA may also be able to help. They are members on this board and are a helpful bunch.

You may also consider joining the Canadian smart car forum as there is lots of expertise there.

Here is the URL

Club smart car

Good luck.

John and Angela

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Kerry,

I'll be the 1st one to ask. Is it registered in your home state or another state? Have you looked into getting it registered in Iowa?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
+ 1 on the Canadian dealer connection for parts, and there is no body repair manual. Club smart Car is the best local resource for the cdi, unless you read German.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fast Eddy at shop.flyingtiger.ca should be a big help.

That Evilution site above is excellent as well.

All of the 450 diesels were sold in Canada, none in the US. The only federalized 450s were turbo-charged gas engines sold by G&K.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I have not. I bought it in Iowa, but I am not sure where it was last licensed. Do you feel there will be a problems with me getting it licensed? Thanks. KLP

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
It depends on your state. If it was last registered in Canadia and has no US title, then it may be next to impossible. What you would have to do it go to a 'liberal' state (your's could be one), get a U.S. state title, and then transfer that title to your state. Keep in mind it will never be technically legal even if you DO get it licensed to drive in your state since it hasn't gone through the legal process (importer that brings the car into US DOT and EPA compliance). Reportedly the gasoline 450 cost around a million bucks to do... Got deep pockets?

What did you get with the car as far as documentation? What does your state require to license?

In TX for instance, if you have a title from another state that is sufficient. Otherwise you have to have the full compliment of import papers. There are 4-5 forms you are supposed to have to fill out when the car enters the country. This obviously hasn't been done, because it's not possible; so, the other way is to bring it into a state that doesn't require much paperwork and do it by hook or crook.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts