Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ! First time using this forum so bare with me please. It looks like a great place for questions and answers. My question is: Was I doing harm to my transmission by putting it in the neutral position and coasting down hill ? Sometimes hauling over 40 mph. I thought that that might be the reason the transmission is failing. I mean completely. The dash display shows two wrenches. That means something, but I have no idea. Did I break this thing ? Or is it just a computer thing ?
I would welcome any help.

Thanks !

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,660 Posts
Welcome to SCoA Art. You have a 450 and those were never offered in the US, but they were offered in Canada. You will get better opinions on Club Smart Car from Canada. On the US spec 451's the two wrenches meant it was time for the more major service. One wrench was the annual or 10K mile service. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thank you. I didn't know that. How did you know that with such little information ? And how about the first question I had in reference to the coasting in neutral ? Do you know anything about that ? I would like to continue to do that if I can. Just to increase mileage. That's when it's back on the road of course.

Thanks for the response !

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,660 Posts
Hi Art. I can't really give a knowledgeable reply on coasting in neutral as if any damage may occur, but I do know that in several states it is illegal. I am sure someone with more transmission knowledge of smarts will chime in soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts