Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 today shifted into 4th then all of a sudden it jumped right back into first and the car went from about 40 mph to almost nothing. When I stepped on it again it shifted right until 5 then it was like it hit neutral but showed 5 on indicator. I stopped turned off motor and restarted only to have first gear won't shift manual or auto mode. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
It is most likely a wiring problem. But have the codes read at a place with a STAR machine (dealer, mainly) and there could well be stored codes that will point to the problem.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have noticed something like this on my 2005 Passion Coupe.

In my research it could be any of a few things:

Crank Position Sensor - the one accessed by removing intercooler and throttle body:
FQ101.co.uk - Crank Position Sensor Change

I'm attempt that fix later this week. I'll let you know how it goes.

IF that doesn't fix it, I have read that it could be the speed or RPM sensor. #3 in the diagram at FQ101.co.uk - Gearbox Sensors & Actuators

It appears the speed sensor is accessible from under the car/with the back panels off however, I know #1 gear selector motor, is accessible with the intercooler removed/through the top of the motor/back of the car. I'll find out when I replace the Crank Position Sensor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts