Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Canadian Cabrio CDI with about 60k Km on the odometer -

While running errands a couple days ago - on a nice chilly rainy day - I hop into my car and notice it doesn't want to turn over. Just a "click" from the SAM, no starter.

Noticed the CHECK ENGINE light is on. Used a ScanGaugeII to find what trouble code may have caused this -- THERE ARE NO TROUBLE CODES STORED. Was at an auto parts store and they loaned me two other types of generic code scanners.
I even called smart Canada, who forwarded me to a dealer in BC (it was late in the day...) and this is not a problem they had ever come across.

Troubleshooting, I found - battery is good, battery cables good, doesn't drop at all in voltage when turning the key to the start position. All other systems appear to function normally. Disconnecting the battery overnight and trying again did not resolve the problem.

Anyone else heard of this particular problem? Surely my starter solenoid hasn't suddenly died - even if it has, that doesn't explain the check engine light. Or does it...?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
typically, the check engine light will not go off until the engine is running and the computer knows there are no faults.
Maybe get under the car and check the wiring at the starter? I know there were some issues with early '08s having a loose ground wire back there. May not apply to your '06, but worth a try. Next I'd put it up on ramps, and, using a voltmeter, try to start it to see if you're getting any voltage to the starter.

·
Registered
673 Posts
WhiteNBlack08 has great suggestions. I believe this happened to someone's CDI in the Canadian forum as well. I think the fix was a broken ground wire in the engine area.

Also, mods, can you please move this to the 450 forum as this pertains to a 450 CDI?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have had this problem before on some CDI cars. Try reaching under the car where the water pump belt is at and turn the engine over backwards. Sometimes the engine will lock the starter and it will not rotate the engine. You can also try rocking the car over in gear sometimes this will free it up. Also sometimes the engine will hydro lock and cause the problem. Also check and see, if when you attempt to turn the starter over the emoblizer turns from gear number (neutral) to the key symbol. This will tell you that the engine is locked and needs to be freed up.

Leroy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, Has anyone found the solution to this Problem, I am now having the same issues Just clicking and not much else, Battery is good. So, I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I would still suspect the battery. Failing that, the starter motor, or the wiring that leads to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will try that, I did the load test on the battery but that still could be an issue. I did note that when I was looking under the little fella I have an oil leak around the pan and have some oil splashed around. I will fix that as well but wondered if the oil could have caused the problem. In any event, I will do a test on all the wires and boost the car to see if that helps. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2006 450 turbo diesel smart passion went to start it after driving to the store starter turned for a second then died now won't start any Ideas . turbo makes it hard to get at starter air scoop in the way have moved scoop a little and I think I can get at it from the help off the picks from the 451 show here I know I am in the right area but would like to know id anyone had this problem with their before I spend the time and frustration to remove starter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts