Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all-- I'm staying in Los Angeles and have a 2006 Smart DIESEL CABRIO with 20K miles (33K km) in great shape that I might be willing to part with. Apparently these cars can be imported using a Registered Importer.

The Federal Register (edocket.access.gpo.gov/2006/E6-10061.htm) says:

"8. Docket No. NHTSA-2005-23391

Nonconforming Vehicles: 2006 Smart Car Passion, Pulse, and Pure
(Coupe and Cabriolet) Passenger Cars Manufactured Prior to September
1, 2006
Because there are no substantially similar U.S.-certified versions
of the 2006 Smart Car Passion, Pulse, and Pure (Coupe and Cabriolet)
Passenger Cars Manufactured Prior to September 1, 2006, the
petitioner sought import eligibility under 49 U.S.C. 30141(a)(1)(B).
Notice of Petition Published at: 70 FR 77245 (December 29, 2005)
Vehicle Eligibility Number: VCP-34 (effective date February 7, 2006)"

This car is not a minty perfect California car: it has been driven in winter so
it has some windshield pitting, etc. But it's pretty nice and gets fabulous
mileage--like 60-65 mpg. It also has a Brabus kit, which includes
special Brabus-stamped alloy wheels, body kit, and so on, as well as a
trailer hitch (yes, it will tow up to 1000 lbs without trouble). No-one else has one here, guaranteed! Only issue is that AC needs to be recharged.
Willing to sell because it's a pain to use in winter. My wife let me drive it to L.A. for winter and she says it can go if someone really wants it.

I can show it near Topanga Canyon. Email me at acg [at] telus.net for more information.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
exception

Interesting point--I don't know if it covers diesels; the decision does not specify gas or diesel models. More research needed. I don't want to sell it to anyone if it would cause them trouble.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,918 Posts
Hi all-- I'm staying in Los Angeles and have a 2006 Smart DIESEL CABRIO with 20K miles (33K km) in great shape that I might be willing to part with.
A Canadian 450 smart cdi "wintering" in California?
"I'm staying in Los Angeles and have a 2006 Smart DIESEL CABRIO with 20K miles (33K km) in great shape that I might be willing to part with."

"My wife let me drive it to L.A." . . .

"No-one else has one here, guaranteed!"
Things that make you go hummmm . . . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
663 Posts
"No-one else has one here, guaranteed!"

Except of course for this one...which is currently in Anaheim....at least for the next two days.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
There are a few in the country (Wikipedia actually says there are 20 or so -- I was surprised to read that!). None of them are strictly legal, but a hardy congratulations to each and every one of them! There is hope, despite the oppression! Live free or die, don't tread[stone] on me!

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
20 may be a low estimate; not including the cars temporarily in the USA such as Radar123's, there are 18 450 cdis that I know of, registered in the USA. I have their VINs, but I've no doubt there are more down there.

About the "BRABUS kit", there is no such thing, other than the BRABUS suspension kit my white car has, but there are accessories by BRABUS, which could be purchased individually.

Also, there were 54 smart diesels imported to Canada badged by the factory as BRABUS: the 50 nightruns, which were all black on black coupés with light grey UNHEATED leather seats and all the BRABUS body accessories. These 50 cars were all built at Hambach and shipped to Canada from there.

The other 4 were custom "Tailor Made" BRABUS conversions, cars sent from Hambach France to Bottrop in Germany, where they werre stripped and repainted - three all red, one white, retrimmed inside with Nappa leather and Alcantara and all the BRABUS bits that were also on the nightrun. Three of these are cabriolets.

It could prove to be entertaining, not in a good way, to try and register a smart diesel in CA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alberta plates

Uh-huh.... Good thing you folks down here know everything. Saves you from having to look, read, or watch carefully. The car is registered in Alberta. I am staying in Topanga Canyon. I will drive it to you if you are seriously interested, or you can come to see it.

This is a real, very low-mileage car that is mainly in excellent condition, not a scam, and not a come-on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Brabus wheels and body kit were offered as a dealer option (as an upgrade 'kit'); there are no Brabus suspension or performance upgrades.

20 may be a low estimate; not including the cars temporarily in the USA such as Radar123's, there are 18 450 cdis that I know of, registered in the USA. I have their VINs, but I've no doubt there are more down there.

About the "BRABUS kit", there is no such thing, other than the BRABUS suspension kit my white car has, but there are accessories by BRABUS, which could be purchased individually.

Also, there were 54 smart diesels imported to Canada badged by the factory as BRABUS: the 50 nightruns, which were all black on black coupés with light grey UNHEATED leather seats and all the BRABUS body accessories. These 50 cars were all built at Hambach and shipped to Canada from there.

The other 4 were custom "Tailor Made" BRABUS conversions, cars sent from Hambach France to Bottrop in Germany, where they werre stripped and repainted - three all red, one white, retrimmed inside with Nappa leather and Alcantara and all the BRABUS bits that were also on the nightrun. Three of these are cabriolets.

It could prove to be entertaining, not in a good way, to try and register a smart diesel in CA.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Uh-huh.... Good thing you folks down here know everything. Saves you from having to look, read, or watch carefully. The car is registered in Alberta. I am staying in Topanga Canyon. I will drive it to you if you are seriously interested, or you can come to see it.

This is a real, very low-mileage car that is mainly in excellent condition, not a scam, and not a come-on.
No disrespect. Many of us would love to have your car. It's just registering it is the stumbling block. A subject of many discussions on this forum, some very heated.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
yeah, it ain't like I don't WANT one! The key for me is getting a state title (which ain't that hard in several states and any state will do). Once you have a title, you're pretty much home free. It's not that we are dissing you, just that it's not easy to do -- especially in Cali! If I were president... hey, I'm not Romney (joke!) I'd change that rule by executive order -- in fact I didn't vote for any of that car importation nonsense (as though we could)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts