Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
I just found this forum (very very cool) and after an hour-long search could not find the answer to my problem so I decided to post a new request.

I recently purchased a 2006 Smart Fortwo Passion. From what I can tell it was made in Germany and shipped to the USA prior to them being generally available in the USA so the car is somewhat unique. The problem is a Check Engine Light being illuminated on the dash. I have scanned it with various scanners and no codes are being reported. A local Mercedes dealer suggested I disconnect the negative battery lead for an hour, which I performed last night. To my surprise, the CEL disappeared after I started the engine! However, as soon as I shifted into gear, the CEL came back on :(

Thoughts, ideas on what is causing the CEL (and how to resolve it)?

Thanx in advance, Brian.

·
Super Moderator
29,027 Posts
Welcome to SCoA! :)

Probably need to scan with the Mercedes STAR system - generic scanners may not pick up certain codes. An M-B dealer or independent shop with a STAR system should be able to help you out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to SCoA! :)

Probably need to scan with the Mercedes STAR system - generic scanners may not pick up certain codes. An M-B dealer or independent shop with a STAR system should be able to help you out.
To clarify, the last mechanic did have an ODB scanner with the CAN protocol and was able to communicate with the car and confirm the CEL but no fault codes were present. There is a MB dealer about 20 miles from my house so that is an option unless I get other advice here. Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
The cEL can be triggered by a number of systems that most scanners can not check. Sounds like maybe your light is from the transmission computer which most scanners (except the really expensive ones) won't check. I believe the Snap-on scanner will test that, but you are looking at a $5-$7K price tag on one and it has to have the European module. Best bet is to stop in at Mercedes. The 450 model smarts were imported by G&K and set up for the USA specs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 450 model smarts were imported by G&K and set up for the USA specs.
This is helpful information. I found the location that was responsible for the conversion along with the garage (here in Colorado) that has a history on this car. Next week I have an appointment with that garage to scan it and diagnose the issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts