Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have on '06 Passion and am having a terrible time fueling it. Put the filler spout in the fuel neck I get probably a second of fuel into the tank before the filler shuts down the fuel flow. This repeats until I get disgusted with the process and quit with about 2 gallons in the tank. Maybe I have a vent problem but not sure. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are you filling it with Premium gas, which the 450 requires? I believe the different octanes have different-sized nozzles. I know that I often have to give the filler nozzle a good hard shove into the tank before it will lock and engage.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Are you filling it with Premium gas, which the 450 requires? I believe the different octanes have different-sized nozzles. I know that I often have to give the filler nozzle a good hard shove into the tank before it will lock and engage.
In the US different octane's of gasoline do not have different-sized nozzles. As a matter of fact most gas stations have one hose for gasoline with different buttons to push in order to select the different octane's.
I have on '06 Passion and am having a terrible time fueling it. Put the filler spout in the fuel neck I get probably a second of fuel into the tank before the filler shuts down the fuel flow. This repeats until I get disgusted with the process and quit with about 2 gallons in the tank. Maybe I have a vent problem but not sure. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
However
Diesel and gasoline are two different size and color of nozzles. Green is for Diesel and is a Larger nozzle.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
On a 451, in the fuel neck that's connected to the fuel tank is a green ball that acts as a one way valve stopper. One smart owner in another forum stuck a metal coat hanger wire into the neck, dislodged the ball and all was good.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
On a 451, in the fuel neck that's connected to the fuel tank is a green ball that acts as a one way valve stopper. One smart owner in another forum stuck a metal coat hanger wire into the neck, dislodged the ball and all was good.
I understand the OP has as they stated an
06 smart which would be a 450.
But since you brought up a 451 with a green ball in the filler neck. I thought I would take a picture of my 09 451's fuel filler neck. Alas, the car has no balls green or otherwise just the standard spring loaded flap.
Automotive tire Bumper Font Fender Gas
Tire Wheel Eye Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
43 Posts
In the US different octane's of gasoline do not have different-sized nozzles. As a matter of fact most gas stations have one hose for gasoline with different buttons to push in order to select the different octane's.

However
Diesel and gasoline are two different size and color of nozzles. Green is for Diesel and is a Larger nozzle.
Thank you—I stand corrected.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Get a gas filler made by Dorman for Fords. It is used on the cars without gas caps as it is impossible to put gas in a Ford from a gas can. Gas pump here don't allow me to fill up the tank!! I fill up until it comes out of the tank. Then wait a few minutes and the car will take sometimes another gallon! Botton line, my smart 453 shuts off the gas pumps at various amounts of fuel. Never fills to the same level making it impossible to accurately measure fuel mileage!
After filling it with this filler funnel, I drove 460.1 miles , 20 miles were with the low level indicating zero fuel! Car then took about 10.1 gallons. so, 460.1 miles on 10.1 gallons and car was still running----maybe on farts. Gas gauge is worthless until i drive about 150 miles, completely inaccurate with about 1/2 tank.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not sure the Smart has a carbon filter for EPA gas fumes. Had this problem on a VW Rialta where the carbon filter plugged up with carbon fines and would do the same. Would only take about 2 gallons and then shut off. This problem is caused by overfilling when filling up. Carbon filter may be plugged up and not letting gas fumes escape.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not sure the Smart has a carbon filter for EPA gas fumes. Had this problem on a VW Rialta where the carbon filter plugged up with carbon fines and would do the same. Would only take about 2 gallons and then shut off. This problem is caused by overfilling when filling up. Carbon filter may be plugged up and not letting gas fumes escape.
Makes sense , would be nice if I had a factory service manual that had information on how the gas tank systems worked. too many "not sures" because of lack of technical information for the car.

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
445 Posts
Unlike the 451 and 453, I think there actually was a 450 service manual (and possibly a Haynes one as well). Get yourself over to ebay and find one (or search the web for a .pdf).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Was replying to OP, who has a 450. I'd like a 453 manual myself.
first internet purchase was a 4 disc set that required unzipping, labeled asra/wis/epc/2020. spent 3 hrs trying to download, one disc was bad, a second disc would hangup at 30% download. Then had to troubleshoot to figure out if I had a hardware problem or were the discs bad. Turns out, discs were bad. Then the seller wanted me to go online and have the discs patched. So I complained and got my money back, So I found another site that claimed they offered all three generations, 450,451 & 453, So I paid and they only sent me a 451 download, then would not respond to my complaints. So, I received another refund. Then somone claimed the factory never offered a shop manual for the 453---never released.
Bottom line, does anyone have a real copy of the MB factory shop manual for a 453? And where could I get such a copy without all the hastle?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts