Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm a new Member here, hello everyone!
I'm really hoping someone might be able to help me with a problem, I live in Maine and I have a 2006 Smart 450 G&K convert and I put down the top all the way down the other day ( and yes I made the mistake of taking off the track over the door) and it stopped going up ( I didn't know about the double click I was supposed to do) well I gave it a little help and the next thing cables and all came out. I had the car towed to my local Mercedes Dealership ( another problem) and they said they have no idea how to fix the top ( there friendly but say they have no info on the 450 and can't get any info on it nor order parts).
They said they can't figure out how everything goes back in and said that it had a "catastrophic failure" and that I may need to replace the whole thing.
If I can get it fixed they think it will cost AT LEAST $2000. Does anyone know how I would feed everything back in and what direction the plastic rails that are connected to the cables go in ?

The other problem is the car keeps slipping out of gear so when you press down on the accelerator the engine just revs. I can drive for possibly 1 minute before it slips and then I have to pull over turn it off, restart it a couple times till it finally gets into gear and if it doesn't slip out of gear before then it does when I try to put in into 2nd. I also get the 3 dotted lines error code on the dash.
I've read on this forum that the most likely culprit is the transmission actuator.
At the dealership they started off saying none of their diagnostic tools interface with the car than after a couple days they called back and said they think it's the transmission actuator and that I have to pay for the part before hand and again it will cost $2000 if they get the part and if that does not work I can't return the part. Also it would probably cost yet ANOTHER $1000-2000 in labor.
The car only has 26.000 miles on it so I am pretty bummed out.
Does anyone know if when trying to find the part does it matter if it's LHD or RHD? Also I saw that there is a smaller ( coke can shaped) "gear actuator",
Should I get order that as well? I hope I posted this in the right spot and I am freaking out a bit so any advice you can impart would be most appreciated!
Thank you so much!

SSgt.Kevin Campbell
Wells,Maine.

·
Registered
493 Posts
welcome to the club...the convertible top is rather complicated and most likely one of the cables came off and screwed up the whole operation.it will have to come apart and cables be re strung its not easy and if they arent broke, or stays broke, youre good. youll need someplace inside (garage) and take it apart. not a lot out there on the tops themselves, and only the UK or German Smart clubs know much about the 450 anyways.. if you need assistance, my 405 cabrio will be laid up for a while until i can figure out what happened yesterday. so I can help.
back to the gearbox, the gutrag is a hefty transmission but has its moments as well, mine gave me the fits with a failed input shaft bearing. I did it myself, the part about 12 bucks, the labor 2 days. so I know the innards quite well. your problem sounds two fold, dropping out of gear and shifting in general is most likely electrical AND mechanical. connectors underneath the car poorly protected, prone to corrosion from salt ect. though mine was never driven in winter, most of my shifting problems came after getting it wet just from daily driving.
BUY YOURSELF A GOOD TOOTHBRUSH< and DIELECTRIC GREASE get it in the air, unplug each, clean and grease. do this while the battery is disconnected. another tip, if your battery is 5 yrs old, GET A NEW ONE. these critters are fussy about their voltage as I have found out.
make sure your battery connection is CLEAN, and if you havent done it yet.. buy a ground cable, drop your tailgate, under the lid, drivers side against the rear cross piece is the ground cable, braided, to the transmission..and body stud. take it out. REPLACE IT.. theyre junk and cause 99% of shifting issues alone. clean both connections with a wire brush, attach your new cable and dont forget the dielectric grease!
attach your battery and then try it. dont skimp on the cable procedure this is probably the most important part. back at the battery make sure your battery ground is clean and good at the body stud as well .. and if your floor under the mat (front or rear)damp you still got more to do (email me )...mechanically probably youre fine but oyu have to cure the electrical gremlins FIRST.
Steveg S.MANN 05 450 cabrio. scg13803 at yahoo dot com.

·
Registered
663 Posts
If you are anywhere close to the Canadian border bring your wallet and find a Mercedes dealer with a good smart car tech and they will put it back together for you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
493 Posts
yea yea ya... moved to 450 for better exposure... not to rock the boat BUT
many of the issues with the 450 ALSO relate to the 451, and visa-versa... that being said, someone could LEARN from this without going to the 450 forum, as many people dont realize this...

as I said before, contact me and I may be able to help... steveg.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I feel like a vulture circling overhead but I am looking for a dead or wrecked 450 for a project. Let me know if you run out of patience or money. 450s require both.

·
Registered
493 Posts
being an orphaned car even by SMART and MB (MoneyBastards).. you got to do and learn 99% of everything on your own...
why Im here to help. Dan if you have something in mind for a project, email me directly.. I may be able to help.

steveg. 450 S.MANN cabrio

·
Registered
280 Posts
Send me a IM and I will send you my cell phone number and I will try to help to out. The problem is not that hard if you have the right tools.

Leroy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts