Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Brand new to the world of smart cars, and I recently purchased a 2006 Smart ForTwo CDi convertible off a friend for extremely cheap. The CDi was sitting for well over a year under cover, and was started for the first time yesterday and driven back to my house. I checked all the fluids before the first turn over, let it charge right up and then left it running for 10 minutes before shutting it down and re-checking the fluids. The oil was good, along with the brake fluid and radiator fluid. I then topped up all the tires as two had gone flat from sitting, and drove the car 20 minutes back to my house. It drove great! Zero issues with power, no dash lights coming on, and zero strange noises. The engine purred like a dream !

The only issue I noticed, was a semi-strong vibration at higher speeds. Once I hit around 50 km/h or more, the car does have a decent shake that encompasses the entire smart car. I originally assumed this could be because of the flat spots on the tires from sitting for a year, but the previous owner advised me they also experienced this vibration too. Once I was home, I re-checked everything over one more time, and all was good except for two very noticeable flat spots on a front and rear tire. I did some quick maintence/tune ups, and swapped all the fluids to brand new, re-filled to the correct PSI, and took it out for a much lengthier drive but this vibration still persists. It only appears around 50km/h, and does not get worse/better as I pick up speed on the highway.

What should I be checking for? I've done some reading, and it seems like the engine mounts are the most likely culprit? Is there anything else that could be causing this higher-speed vibration? There is zero noise with the vibration, and the car runs amazing. The diesel engine purrs, is quite strong, has a strong/nominal idle, and there are zero dash lights or warning symbols. The previous owner also advised me the vibration still persisted even after they purchased a new set of tires, and had them balanced and aligned.

Please let me know what I should be checking for, or any other pieces of advice as I really enjoy driving this 2006 CDI.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
You have to start all over if you still have the flat spot tires on the car. Check wheels for lose play. A set of round tires balanced. Shocks and springs checked. Lube up the chassis suspension with a silicone spray lube to free it up. Every thing that should twist pivot or move should be sprayed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts