Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
17,345 Posts
This is NOT the Americanized version that came out in 2008 with the non-turbo Mitsubishi engine that only gets 25-35mpg.

Gets an amazing 45MPG in the city, and is very reliable; this car is my daily driver.

- DOT approved LED headlight upgrade
First CL seller I've ever seen accept the ultra sketchy Bitcoin...

Couple nitpicks with this one:

Why are you knocking the 451?
The "American" 451 gets 35+ MPG. Personally, I average 37-45 MPG with high spurts in the 50s. And most of my driving is slow and often bumper to bumper.

AFAIK, there's not a single aftermarket LED or HID kit out there that is DOT Approved. To make a DOT Approved kit they would literally have to certify the kit on pretty much every model of car sold in the U.S. (which is almost physically impossible).

How did you go about getting it DOT Approved?

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
The 80,000 mile/8 year warranty is valid until November of this year.

This is NOT the Americanized version that came out in 2008 with the non-turbo Mitsubishi engine that only gets 25-35mpg.
Like jwight, not familiar with that 25-35 mpg "Americanized" smart but our 2008 smart/Mitsu does get 40 - 45 mpg?

And who is handling the 8/80,000 warranty for this gray market smart?

·
17,345 Posts
Realistically, it really only has an 8,000 mile/6 month warranty...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just added links to the SAE/DOT FMVSS108 Compliant 90mm LED headlamp specsheet, FuelEconomy.gov (which a few area friends, whom do drive a 451, agree with), and more warranty details.

Thanks greatly for the feedback!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts