Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pictures at:

PDF brochure from the show: http://home.roadrunner.com/~spdickey1/smart USA here I am.pdf

I just got back from the LA Auto Show. smart was front center above the main entrance, but outside the main halls with three North American spec cars (first time seen by public), a cut away tridion and few accessories.

Guys and gals from the road show where there to answer questions. Nothing really new from them, however one confirmed the 2/25 warranty with free road side assistance with 3-5 year extended plans available. No dates other than Jan. 1 beginning deliveries, no dealers announced, nothing new on reservations or confirmations. No PC's there and they wern't taking deposits or names.

I took the marketing survey for the booth and received a copy of the coffee table picture book "smartism" (my second copy which I will auction off on eBay). Normal questions asked the public to gauge interest in the car and exhibit.

On to the cars...

First in line, the red cabriolet, silver tridion. Leather seats, upgraded stereo. The top rails were off, so I couldn't extend the top closed, but was able to get the back into the up position and could not see the possible leak problem reported earlier. Leather seats DO have center cloth insert on the seat back. US cars have amber inserts in the front light assembly on the outboard sides, and small amber marker lamps inside. Rear lamps had dual white backups on each side. And the rear tailgate was drilled for USA style license plates. Nine spoke wheels. Tailgate has a 250lbs load limit printed on it, no problem sitting on the back end. MPH on the speedo, it looked about the same as others I have seen earlier. Buttons on each side, right one didn't do anything, but of course the engine was off. Left button changed the display above the odometer. If I remember right it show trip, time, gallons to empty. They had the car in the accessory position so the radio played and the windows worked.

Second, blue/silver passion. Cloth seating, off white. Same radio. This one had a plexy cover over the open engine cover so we could see what's under the trunk. Finally saw the drain plug under the car on the right front side corner of the oil pan, just forward of the tiny oil filter. Was told to service the engine, four extra long bolts are placed in tapped holes below the engine. Engine mounting bolts are removed and the motor drops down for service. Sweet. Polycarb roof is tinted but pretty clear, no dot pattern at all. The sunshade when covering the window is a mesh screen of two layers that filters out about 70% of the sunlight. It is not opaque at all. I got some good pics with the sun coming in through the convention center roof that I hope conveys what I saw.

Third, the pure in silver/black. Had a radio, no CD. Black solid plastic roof, steel hubcaps. 3% buying this car, who cares!

All cars had NA shifters PRND +/-. Actually looks nice with the leather cover, noticed the same shift pattern was on the new Mini Coopers.

And just for fun here are the VINS of the displayed models. All USA editions.

WMEEJ31X68K027284 blue passion
WMEEK31XX8K027575 red cabrio
WMEEJ31XX8K027529 silver pulse

I was able to go to the WWL site (see Cargo sticky for link) and track each car from Germany to Maryland. It took about two weeks from dock to dock.

Got questions? Let 'em rip. Going to the smart house this weekend to let the spouse test drive.

·
Super Moderator
29,450 Posts
Good stuff!

Thanks for the info and the photos. I think by now we've all figured out the shift pattern is the same for all US cars - keeps folks from driving their 280Zs into the neighbor's living room. :)

BTW, the brochure link requires a password.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I had a chance to go to the show today, Wednesday, November 21, 2007. I'm sure glad I took photos, because I''m seeing things I missed...

For example, on the stickers on the cars, they read, "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 235kg or 518 pounds." ... "GVWR 1050 kg, 2315 pounds."

I have both videos and photos to post, but that will have to come latter on ....

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts