Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm one of the early adopters here in the USA (yes, I paid the $99 subscriber amount for the honor of buying mine). Put 115k happy miles on it but now have a problem my local dealer and Mercedes (Fairfield, CT) can't figure out for less than $2k. Hoping for help finding a local friendly expert or guidance on what's next...

Scenario: rattle at idle/neutral at low RPMs. Zero noise under power. No impact on engine performance, changing gears, mileage, etc.

Tested: sounds the same in P, R, N, D. Coasting downhill has the same sound. Under power=no sound.

Tested: put on a lift by local mechanic (expert in all things foreign, friend from church, super trustworthy) says it's not the transmission but coming from the engine area. Suggested MB to review (or buy a new car).

Tested: went to MB. Very helpful, but they said they'd have to take the tran and engine out to figure out what is rattling. They suspect the transmission.

My thought: something OUTSIDE of the engine and transmission, but just not confident. Does not sound like the pinging of a piston, valve. I've driven it on 4 60 mile trips (58 miles on highway with no idling and therefore no noise), and everything (seems) fine.

Any thoughts from the community, esp. around if this is a safety issue or if any experts are known in the Southwest CT area (Fairfield)

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Check the front motor mount. When I had a solid motor mount on mine, it would vibrate like crazy at idle and low rpm but would smooth out at higher rpm. Chumly

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Also check the catalytic converter heat shield. When that thing starts getting old it starts to make annoying rattles of its own.

Reactions: rclh57

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks. Is it something that needs addressing immediately or will a little bit of pothole avoiding delay the need for work?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Those darn rattles. The rear glass upper trim rattles on my smart. The shape of the cabin makes it difficult to locate specific sounds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts