Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a gently used (?) shifter thinking that may the problem with my 2008, I still only get 3 lines on the speedometer, The replacement unit came without a key, but had the tumbler still in place. I got it out and before I get the other one out, do I need to add a hole to release the key tumbler? I also have a red tool of sorts on the front of the replacement shifter, not sure what that is for. Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
28,833 Posts
Here's a portion of a TSB on shifting problems, including the 3 bars of death - might help..... :)

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Standing in a snowbank, it looks impossible to remove the bolts holding the air intake in place. Especially the rear one. My thought is to hack it out and replace it with a silicone tube for ease of removal and installation. Any comments before I start cutting??

·
Registered
332 Posts
Standing in a snowbank, it looks impossible to remove the bolts holding the air intake in place. Especially the rear one. My thought is to hack it out and replace it with a silicone tube for ease of removal and installation. Any comments before I start cutting??
Go for it!

I removed mine and replaced it with one of the reasonably priced ones on eBay. Available in multiple colors too. The fit was good, the only mod I made was to shorten the side port a little.

~toaster

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think thats the one I have on order. Be a few weeks before it arrives I guess.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Silicone Hose arrived today. sadly they are predicting cold and snow for the next few days...

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the old airbox off, unplugged both shift motors, and plugged them back in. They make noise but nothing happens when I shift the floor shift. I suspect the shifter has the problem. At this point, someone could take it off my hands for relatively cheap. I have too many projects, and I just picked up a 1998 Land Rover too. If I fix this, I will still be selling it, the price will go up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts