Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've owned this car since I purchased it brand new in October 2008. I replaced the battery about 8 months ago with a NAPA battery, after it would not start. I decided it was due for a replacement, and did not have the battery tested. After replacing the battery, I had no problems until 3 weeks ago.

I drive the car almost every day. After going out of town for the weekend and leaving the car at home, it would not start in the morning. I took the battery to NAPA and they replaced it without testing it, as it was 5 minutes before closing. The car started fine for a week or so. I let it sit for a couple days, and it refused to start. I charged the battery myself and it started. I got out my multimeter and it reads ~12.5v when the car is off, ~14v when I start it. So, I assume that the alternator is fine. The car continued to start for a couple of days. I didn't drive it for two days, and of course, it won't start the next time I try.

So, I switch my multimeter over to test for current draw. With the car locked and off for 5 minutes, it reads 180ma. After doing a search on this forum for similar issues, I see that people often mention automatic wipers and headlights as an issue and that smart even replaced the battery in 08's for customers with these features.

I tested for current draw with the automatic wipers and headlights in the on/off positions, each time waiting 10 minutes after closing and locking the car doors to give the car time to shut everything down. My results are as follows:

Both on: 180-190ma
Both off: 8-12ma
Auto wipers on: 20-26ma
Auto headlights on: 8-12ma

I performed this test twice. With either of the features turned off, it seems like a reasonable amount of current drain. Even if you added the current together from the tests with only one feature on, it would seem acceptable. However, with both on, the current draw sky rockets.

Has anyone seen this? What can I even do to fix it? How has it not been a problem for me before, why now?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have a charging cord hardwired to the battery on both of our smarts. Parasitic draw pulls down the battery in our 08 Passion with the comfort package. If I let it sit for a few days, it will take 24 hours to re-charge the battery.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
There was a mod that was done for this by the dealers, and they recommended not leaving automated headlights and wipers on when the car is parked. The smart centers should be able to handle this for you.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
There was a mod that was done for this by the dealers, and they recommended not leaving automated headlights and wipers on when the car is parked. The smart centers should be able to handle this for you.
That's a heck of a mod...."Just turn the auto wipers and lights to the O-F-F position. (and the monkey throws the switch)

Do you ,or anyone, know if this is still an issue being that my son has the auto lights and auto wiper hockey puck on his 2015?:shrug:

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Since there was a modification to eliminate this drain process, I would expect that it was incorporated in later model cars, No?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts