Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an excellent, drive anywhere 2008 convertible with just a bit less than 60K on the clock. Tires have less than 1,000 miles on 'em, trailer hitch (for my bicycle rack) clear Florida title in my name, ready to sign over to you.

Nice interior, no damage, every thing works as it was designed to work with one exception: the convertible top, tho in excellent condition, is not installed on the car.

The story: one of the plastic sliders broke and I undertook to repair it myself. Fast forward: I'm not 30 anymore. I'm 73 and my mechanical prowess (to say nothing of attention span) is not what it once was. A young guy (with a helper) could almost certainly pull a diy fix. All three (!) motors that operate the top work. The issue is installing the sliders into the top rails, and as important, gaining access to the rails. There are several on-point YouTube videos for guidance.

Finally, I neither need nor want advice on how to fix it myself. Ain't gonna happen. If I take it to my friendly Mercedes dealer, I would be lucky to net $2k were I to sell the car after their work. So here it is for $2k, obo. PM, or directly email to [email protected]

I have plenty of pictures, but am too much of a Luddite to decode the means for posting pictures. email me, I'll send you all you want and then some.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
This guy never responded to PM, not complaining, just hope he's OK. He doesn't come off as the type of person to just blow off an inquiry. Anybody know him?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Emailed the guy a few times, told me a little about the car. Asked for his phone number at least 3 different times so I could call and come purchase the car. Never responded with the number. I gave up.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
This user was looking for help mid to end of February. Didn’t see the post until I searched post history. I wasn’t really around to help sadly. Maybe (s)he’ll try to fix it first before giving up the boat.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
We can help- and give you cash

Use the free Blinker app and if you sell it using the promo code "SMART" we will send you AND the buyer $200. Also we post you car for sale to tons of buyers all for free!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
This user was looking for help mid to end of February. Didn’t see the post until I searched post history. I wasn’t really around to help sadly. Maybe (s)he’ll try to fix it first before giving up the boat.....
I emailed the OP about this car, and he is back and forth on keeping it - he just may. I thanked him for his time, but I don't know that it is necessarily 'for sale', wholeheartedly - and for the best reason; staying in the Smart family!

·
Registered
225 Posts
o8 cabrio for sale.

Skippy. Since it has been so long since your last post on this vehichle, I assume you have long-since fixed and decided to keep it, or disposed of it, but on the off-chance that you just parked it and went on to something else, I would definately be interested in it as-is. I have been driving an 08 for over 10 years now and would like one as a first-car for my semi-handicapped grandaughter. Drop me a quick PM if you would , pklease. Sincerely, Shop Hermit in Kansas.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Skippy. Since it has been so long since your last post on this vehichle, I assume you have long-since fixed and decided to keep it, or disposed of it, but on the off-chance that you just parked it and went on to something else, I would definately be interested in it as-is. I have been driving an 08 for over 10 years now and would like one as a first-car for my semi-handicapped grandaughter. Drop me a quick PM if you would , pklease. Sincerely, Shop Hermit in Kansas.
Just a quick heads up; this is not my car - this is the the original posters' car, halmc. I was merely an interested party.

I didn't want you reaching out to the wrong person and being upset I didn't reply. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the note. I drive the car every day, or near about every day. I re-installed the top, but have not cycled the top. It is water tight. The airbag light is still on. Slapped on a nice new set of tires about 1500 miles ago. I've sorta lost my appetite for selling it that cheaply cuz it serves my needs fairly well, tho the airbag issue does give me some pause. Still, I've been thinking of a change lately. If you're interested we may be able to come to terms.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the note. I drive the car every day, or near about every day. I re-installed the top, but have not cycled the top. It is water tight. The airbag light is still on. Slapped on a nice new set of tires about 1500 miles ago. I've sorta lost my appetite for selling it that cheaply cuz it serves my needs fairly well, tho the airbag issue does give me some pause. Still, I've been thinking of a change lately. If you're interested we may be able to come to terms.
If you're still interested in selling at a good price, I may be interested in buying it.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
halmc, my dad got into an accident in my ‘13 and none of the airbags went off. (Unfortunately it was totaled), but I believe in a lot of cases one does not want them going off in the first place, meaning sometimes they do more damage than good.....

·
Super Moderator
11,296 Posts
Hit 2 deer lately and air bags didn't go off either time. First one , I had to replace the header panel across the front end as it was broken, last one was just the fender and headlight.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not inclined to sell the car for less than $2k cuz I use it all the time. With respect to airbags, generalizing from the specific almost always yields flawed results. Sometimes in crashes, seat belts kill people. Most times they don't.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts