Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '08 Cabrio with 90K+ miles seems to have an engine miss when under load but the check engine light has not come on. Have relied on a diagnostic code in the past, pointing me to a cylinder. Haven't tried to read a code yet, assume one isn't there. Anyone else had an obvious miss that didn't illuminate the check engine lamp? Ready to try a replacement coil or plug or plugwire, but would rather not be guessing, definitely don't want to trouble a dealer to charge me $300 for a diagnostic. Please share any thoughts, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Car starts instantly, idles fine. Oil is fresh. Transmission can't find reverse half the time, irrelevant. Lighter throttle I think is fine, heavier throttle produces miss. Will go check for codes anyway....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Surprise, got a P0303, even though the check engine lamp was off. Cleared the code, drove around short block, codes are still clear, will keep an eye on it. P0303 maps to a cylinder #3 misfire, correct? Is cylinder #3 driver-side or passenger-side of engine?

BTW, using good fuel, haven't tried seafoam, haven't pulled plugs. Had a P0303 long ago, I think the coil-over thing was cracked, replaced with slightly used one, fixed it for 50K miles ago. Will explore a little deeper, thanks again.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Surprise, got a P0303, even though the check engine lamp was off. Cleared the code, drove around short block, codes are still clear, will keep an eye on it. P0303 maps to a cylinder #3 misfire, correct? Is cylinder #3 driver-side or passenger-side of engine?

BTW, using good fuel, haven't tried seafoam, haven't pulled plugs. Had a P0303 long ago, I think the coil-over thing was cracked, replaced with slightly used one, fixed it for 50K miles ago. Will explore a little deeper, thanks again.
A P0303 doesn't necessarily mean cylinder 3. I just went through that with my car after changing an engine, in the end it was cylinder 1 not firing at all cause I forgot to hook up the fuel enjector!

·
17,371 Posts
My 2012 used to misfire in cold weather since it was brand new. Never triggered a CEL for it until after 50k miles. During warranty, the dealerships said they wouldn't even investigate without a CEL.

Seems the misfire has to be pretty heavy to illuminate the CEL.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried another coil on cylinder #3, didn't fix the miss.
Fresh spark plugs solved the engine miss issues completely, engine runs great now. Thanks for suggestions.
The inconsistent ability to get in REVERSE is such a drag, I think I'll let it go find a new home.
If there is a for sale section, look for it there....

·
Super Moderator
11,292 Posts
Might be interested.. where you located?? I had a similar problem with mine, I ended up replacing all 3 coils with ones from Smart Madness. Much better price than the dealer or aftermarket. Mine only acted up when it got cold outside.

·
17,371 Posts
Ooooooooh they're not far from me!!! How much you want for it? :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd like to do a little more due diligence before I take the let-it-go route. And keep in mind, I added cruise-control, custom wide-wheels all-around, added 1.25" frame-hitch-receiver so that I could periodically mount a nice bicycle rack. It's nicely equipped & running well, so it won't be a discarded gift. The heated seats are very handy starting this time of year in northern IL. Far from perfect, but still useful when you plan your parking to avoid reverse gear.

I'm going to start a new thread to try addressing if any simpler user band-aids can truly improve or resolve the 2008-2009 ForTwo REVERSE Rarely Works issues.

I'll also add I've owned 2 these 2008 ForTwos, a Pure & this Cabrio, since 2010, so I do have considerable experience.

·
Super Moderator
11,292 Posts
I hear you! got my first smart, 2008 Pure in 2008, then went to a 2009 Pure, and finally to a 2008 Passion. Tons of additions to each including same size tires al around, cruise, and much more. The Pure's had custom painted wheel covers that made them look completely different. Also had my share of problems, hit 3 deer so far, replaced complete front end right to the firewall, and a fender or two, currently fighting with a transmission that won't co-operate and let the car start....radiator fan, and my first Pure did catch on fire... so I have paid my dues too. Might wan to check connectors for water inside them, or corrosion. Have had that issue with mine. took a few days to find it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Might be interested.. where you located?? I had a similar problem with mine, I ended up replacing all 3 coils with ones from Smart Madness. Much better price than the dealer or aftermarket. Mine only acted up when it got cold outside.
DeKalb, IL, in Miss Mercedes neck of the woods, sorta...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts