Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after driving so many fortwo's from the 08 to the 15; I'm leaning towards the 2008 because they feel and look similar as the 2015. The main reason is because the 2008 ones are cheaper. I see many for around $5K with 20K miles or for $3K with 70K miles. I know these are way out of warranty, but is this a good decision or will this be a money pit? Anything specific I should look for?

PS : I'm looking to get the convertible. Anything specific there? Hydraulic fluid issues? Shrinking top? Back window falling?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Been happy with my latest 2008, got it with 99K on it. I did have to replace the alternator and belt, and new battery but that is to be expected.

Any car has the potential to be a money pit, even one with low miles.If they have had the updates to the software, you should be OK. You can go crazy and have the oil analysis done, compression check, etc but in the end, you are buying an almost 10 year old car.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you are looking for a Cabriolet definitely look at the 451's as the 450 (diesel) have a plastic rear window that over time hazes over. The 451 (08 up) are glass. I have a 2010 cabriolet and love it er well right up to the point that I toasted my motor a couple of weeks ago....

Depends a lot on your location for example up here in Canada because of road salt/brine I might not look at really old smarts as you could run into corrosion issues on electrical connectors and other related parts. Since you are looking at really low milage smarts I would take a good look underneath in case the car has been sitting and has accumulated rust. Parking brakes tend to be sticky as well as front brake pads when left sitting for extended periods.

Brake parts are not that expensive however, I can by Brembo pads and rotors for not much more then many north america vehicles here. I would be wary of higher milage smarts as they tend to have alternator failures once you get up past 100,000km. This isn't necessarily a big problem as I've sourced rebuild and wrecker parts in the past, the belt tensioner should probably be replaced at this point as well.

Fan belts, I'm leaning towards recommending only the OEM belt as I had an aftermarket belt fail +2,000km after having it replaced along with the alternator. I'm still not 100% what exactly happened, i.e. whether it was a bad belt or the belt wasn't properly tensioned. In any event if you have a belt fail you can severely damage your motor as I did, a broken belt tends to take out you oil pressure switch as well as not having any coolant circulation since the water pump is also disabled. In other words if you get an alternator warning stop immediately and check your belt/motor.

If you have to drop a motor it involves removing 4 bolts that hold the engine/transmission/rear wheels/exhaust as it all comes out in 1 unit. Which sounds great until you also realize that this involves unhooking your A/C lines, coolant, brake and electrical.

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
My 2008. I didn't own a softtop. Just replaced the battery, tires, went with ceramic front brake pad. Hated the nasty brake dust. Only things that was replaced AC/heater blower motor. Seat beat, under warranty. Sun roof shade cover. Always garaged. Still looks brand new. Pretty much a trouble free car. 80k miles. Couldn't ask more, for a $14.5K vehicle, new.

Carmax, had a silver 2009 Brabus softtop. 19k mile. $7k, last week. Don't know if it's still available.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am in the UK and I bought a 2007 Smart Fortwo Passion Coupe 451 Turbo with 15,280 miles in June 2015 for £ 5,000. So far I've had a complete set of tyres and I just had the gearbox software updated to try and fix problems getting into reverse occasionally. Still to early to say if its fixed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts