Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have only owned my car a few months and wife really likes it. Has about 80,000 miles. My question....on 2 separate occasions when first startup in the morning the car does not want to move when put into gear. The shifter moves and the indicater light says it is in reverse but the car won't move. It does the same thing in drive position. After trying 3 or 4 times it will finally work and then drives just fine. What gives? What do yall suggest? there is not a Smart dealer within hundreds of miles of us so can't just "run" to the shop. Do I need to just let it "warm up" more?? I'm a good mechanic on other cars but not sure on this one.

·
Super Moderator
29,203 Posts
Do the paddle shifters work when the car is driving normally? If not, it needs a software update. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They had been working with the paddles but will have to check with the wife and see. She usually does NOT use the paddle shift.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
paddle shift does work. I called a M/B dealer and had them run the vin# for recalls and service. Years back there was a transmission software update done. Just yesterday the car did it again in the morning when wife was trying to go to work. I told her to turn it off and restart it and then it went into reverse just fine. What is going on> Dealer told me if they had to change a "module" out it could cost $1700 to replace!! Crap! Value of cars are not even $3000. Could use it for a hood ornament on one of my other cars. Hah!! Seriously...any ideas??

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had similar problems, all very intermittent. Cycle the car fob to lock then unlock the doors, then do the relearn of the tranny. Foot on brake, key to pos 1, do not start engine, slowly move shift lever from P to R,N,D, then slide left to manual, then slowly back to P. Then Key off, foot off brake.
This may do some good, but it also may have no effect. For me it did help, but the problems started coming back after a couple of weeks.
The next thing I did was to remove the clutch actuator, open it up and clean... re lube with white lito grease, reinstall and adjust.
The car seemed to be much better... but not to take the chance of more issues, I then did the same to the gear shift motors (use electric cleaner, but do not use the litho grease!). I also changed the tranny fluid to redline MT-90, during this process. That made a big improvement.
Hope this helps, keep us up to date....

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Try a transmission reteach when it happens.
with the car shut off, (not running) turn key on while holding brake, then go through each of the gear positions waiting at each gear until the clunking stops. then go back to park and start the car.

Or it could be the shift motors need cleaning out. Haven't done that myself but others have on here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts