Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2008 Smart For Two Passion. I can't figure out how to lock the car manually. There is a key slot on the outside of the driver door, but when I insert the key and turn it left or right it never locks the car. The passenger side does not have a slot. Also when I'm inside the car I have tried to push the button on the dash to lock it, but that does not work. I have two keys and they are both damaged, so that the electronic push button to lock is not functioning. It is expensive to buy a new key so I thought it would be great if I could just find a way to manually find a way to lock it. :confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does that mean? You wrote: Manually locking a smart with a happy face after your comment. Could you give me a detailed answer. Preferably something like-----yes it is possible and here is how or no it is not possible and they screw me on the price of the keys. Either way I need to know soon it is to dangerous leaving my car unlocked all the time. Thank you. I had 75 views on my post but only one person responded.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Here is the owners manual link to the 2008 smart:
2008 smart car. Online Service and Owner?s Manual. smart Owners.

Open the PDF of the manual. On document page 250 (PDF page 251) in the right-most column is the paragraph titled:
"Locking the vehicle".

Locking the vehicle
If you can no longer lock the vehicle using the
remote control and you do not have a spare
transmitter battery at hand, please proceed
as follows:
> Open the driver's door.
> Press the central locking switch
( page 84).
The indicator lamp on central locking
switch 1 comes on, when the starter switch
is in position 1.
The indicator lamp on central locking
switch 1 flashes, when the starter switch is
in Position 0.
> Remove the key from the starter switch,
take it with you, and close all doors.
The vehicle is now locked and the antitheft
warning system* is armed.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If memory serves.... BIG if

close all doors. close the tailgate. close the rear window. close the fuel filler door.
open only the drivers door
sit in the drivers seat and close the door.
press the lock button on the button bar - to lock everything.

THEN
open the drivers door and leave it open (I don't know if it works with the door closed. try it)
insert the key into the ignition and turn the key to position 1 (but don't start the car)
press the lock button on the button bar (the indicator lamp should be lit)
turn the key to position 0 and then remove the the key from the ignition switch (the indicator lamp on the lock button should be flashing)
exit the car and close the door.

The car should now be locked

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent advice this works. The only thing on your steps is to add after position 0 put the car back in park.

After you shut off car, open driver door put the car in neutral with foot on break. Put they key in position 1 & push the lock button on dash. At some point you hear the car lock I can't remember if it is at the point when you push the key back to the the zero position or after you put the car back in park but always remember hearing the car lock at some point. I can't remember if I actually push the button on dash again after I put it in zero position or if just putting it in park causes the car to lock? Either way this works try it out with these simple steps and I'm grateful for you sharing it with me. Thank you much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts