Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually in the morning after sitting all night when I start it, it will make a whining sound for maybe 25 to 30 seconds then the sound stops and it idles perfect. It has started making the whining sound 5 days ago.

The last couple of days it does it even after just sitting parked for a couple of hours it does not have to be all night anymore. Like I said it make the noise then stops and then the car drives fine. I'm going in for the 60k tune up tomorrow. Any advice on if maybe this is a bad pulley or something specific I can ask the mechanic to check. I haven't had the luck for it to make the noise while in my mechanics presence. I will leave it overnight for him tonight.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Usually in the morning after sitting all night when I start it, it will make a whining sound for maybe 25 to 30 seconds then the sound stops and it idles perfect. It has started making the whining sound 5 days ago.

The last couple of days it does it even after just sitting parked for a couple of hours it does not have to be all night anymore. Like I said it make the noise then stops and then the car drives fine. I'm going in for the 60k tune up tomorrow. Any advice on if maybe this is a bad pulley or something specific I can ask the mechanic to check. I haven't had the luck for it to make the noise while in my mechanics presence. I will leave it overnight for him tonight.
IT IS temperature sensitive depending on the temperature of the coolant as to whether the airpump runs to help fire up the catalytic converter faster.
When I bought my car, I was so convinced it sounded odd, I drove it 3.5 hours back to the dealer and drove their demo to be sure. YUP, it sounded the same. They do have a sound of their own.

If you want an ear opening experience, drive with the engine cover off. You will hear a cacophony of sounds. BE SURE to have the windows down and top open if a cabrio or maybe the rear glass open to be sure you don't get exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning.
So...., have you felt the thumping under the driver side floor board just after initial start up and drive off, yet? That's normal too. Just the ESP testing the ABS valves.... just so you will know.
and ...... lightly tap the turn signal up or down for a three flash lane change feature. I didn't understand what was going on with that for a year and a half. I thought it was a malfunction. The tic tock of the turn signal is super ceded by the seat belt alarm, as they use the same speaker. Audible alarms take precedence over the indicator signal. :D

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
I told the mechanic at the service center about the 'whining' I hear when my car starts up after sitting for awhile. They said they did not find a problem. It sounded like it did before but with a little bit of a metallic sound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts