Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A minor thing, one of the D rings in the cargo are was missing when I bought it, oddly enough my parts car only had one too. I also moved the foam insert for the battery cover over.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Good morning,

Since the shift Motor sits on top of the clutch actuator and can be found lower right of the air box. Access to it can be gained through the top. By removing the air box you can gain total access to it. But you don’t have to remove the air box to lubricate it. There is a small cap that sits on top of the shift motor. Over time the grease inside will solidify. You can pull the cap and give it a squirt of white lithium.
May I ask what make and model ODB/CAN scanner unit you’re using?
We are cut from the same cloth as far as keeping a log of issues encountered and corrected. Information is knowledge, Knowledge is wisdom
Paula
Are you sure about your advice? Seems to conflict with the below post, unless there is another white cap.

.. in the picture you can see the little white cap that people like to remove and spray lubricant...cause the grease got dry...there's no grease under that cap...it's a vent cap...injecting any type of lubricant in there is only contaminating the system...

Jetfuel...just saying

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
@Paula&Charlie

Are you sure about your advice? Seems to conflict with the below post, unless there is another white cape?
I can confirm what @jetfuel stated, DO NOT PUT ANY LUBRICANT IN THE SHIFT MOTORS; none, nada, zilch. That white cap is a vent cover and beneath it is your transmission. Adding lithium grease or anything else through there contaminates your transmission. The shift motors do not need any additional lubrication, the gears get lubricated by transmisison oil and the motors have sealed bearings.

Edit: Link to my shiftmotor teardown

·
Registered
333 Posts
I agree, if you do put white lithium grease in that port, you are contaminating your existing transmission fluid by injecting it directly into the tranny fluid reservoir.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I agree, if you do put white lithium grease in that port, you are contaminating your existing transmission fluid by injecting it directly into the tranny fluid reservoir.
I know there is more than one post advising to squirt white lithium grease down the port under the cap.
Example people having problems with the car shifting into reverse, were told to shoot a little grease down there.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I know there is more than one post advising to squirt white lithium grease down the port under the cap.
Example people having problems with the car shifting into reverse, were told to shoot a little grease down there.
Yeah, it seems to be pretty common "knowledge" that gets passed around. I heard it from more than just here and ignored it because at the time I didn't know, but was pretty sure the issue wasn't lubrication related. Of course once I pulled the shift motors off myself it was entirely obvious that this was bad advice; I could even see bits of lithium grease the PO had dumped in there doing nothing but making a mess in the transmission. I wonder where and how that got started?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
100,000 mi:
Oil, oil filter, air filter change
Wheel bearings ok
suspension ok
underbody ok
brakes ok
tires ok
A//C charcoal not changed, A/C not working

Codes:
B1002
Control unit N23 (Heater/air conditioning operating unit) is defective (Interior temperature controller)

Interior temperature sensor reads 2.0K ohms

Since this is my first oil change in this car, I sent it out for testing.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts