Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2008 smart cabrio “spyder” (SOLD)

$3995

176,000 highway miles. Intercooled turbo with 8lbs boost (115hp). Synapse diverter valve. BRABUS Sport Suspension package. OZ Racing X2 wheels (15x5.5 front, 15x6.5 rear) with 175/55R-15 front and 195/50R-15 rear ContiProContacts. Smarts4You Racing front disc brake upgrade, rear disc conversion, and sport suspension bushings. S-Mann front splitter and rear spoiler. Philips LED daytime running lights. Custom paddle shifters. Sony XAV-AX100 receiver (Apple CarPlay / Android Auto) with Kicker DS650 6-½ 2-way speakers. Convertible top in excellent shape. Factory wind deflector. A/C. Tinted windows. New battery. Full set of studless ContiWinterContact snow tires mounted on factory alloy wheels. Mobil 1 oil changes every 3,000 miles. Mercedes Benz of Portland replaced serpentine belt and A/C belt at 108k miles and installed redesigned right axle shaft and all drive seals at 168K miles. Always garaged. No leaks. Non-smoker. Clean title.

I've loved this car for 8 years and it has been a blast, but I need to make room for my next project.

I've also enjoyed the amazing support of the smart community through this forum - thank you all!

Peter
Salem, Oregon

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can you please send a comprehensive set of photos inside and out? Also with the high amount of miles on it, how many miles do you feel it has left before major work needs performed?
Are you negotiable on the price?
Thanks,
Robert
[email protected]
Centralia Wa

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Robert,

I obviously cannot predict when something will break, but the car feels younger than what the odometer shows. The car starts right up, idles smoothly, runs strong, and maintains a steady coolant temp regardless of ambient temps. I never need to add fluids, it doesn't burn oil, and the plugs looked good when I changed them a few months back. The clutch is original but exhibits no slippage. I've lubed the clutch actuator and both up and down shifts continue to be very positive. I'm certain that the car's longevity and its continued strong performance is due in no small part to my easy driving style and that virtually all the miles have been cruising miles between Salem and the coast. For example, when I had a Salem brake shop install the four-wheel disc package at around 120k miles, the car was still on its original front pads and rear shoes. I also think that the turbo helps by giving the car enough power to overtake without lots of downshifting and winding out of the engine, but doing so with a low level of boost.

I've attached additional photos. You can call me at 503-547-4694 if you'd like to discuss over the phone. I may be somewhat flexible on price, but I think what I'm asking is fair given the performance enhancements and the car's condition.

Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I saw a lot of your build! Wow!!!!

Did you get the parking brake working? (Gonna have a chat with the family)....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw a lot of your build! Wow!!!!
Thanks, it was so much fun transforming the cute little city car into a cute little canyon carver. For me it's been the ultimate sleeper. Always get curious folks coming up to me at the PDX Cars & Coffee, surprised when I would tell them the car has the power-to-weight ratio of a Mini Cooper S with the suspension and braking upgrades to support the added performance. Of course, the really surprised folks are the ones driving sports cars through the canyons with a seemingly stock looking smart cabrio keeping up with them!

Did you get the parking brake working? (Gonna have a chat with the family)....
It works well enough but requires periodic adjustment, something easily done with the rear wheels off. I've attached an image from Smarts4You Racing where I've highlighted the parking brake mechanism. To adjust you simply loosen a nut and tighten the allen bolt you can see in the image. The little arm sticking out from the brake is connected to the parking brake cable and it mechanically actuates a little disc pad separate from the one hydraulically actuated for the rear brake. It doesn't work as well as the stock drum brake system, but it's been worth it to have the superior braking performance.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts