Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought myself a smart car, but got a problem, my soft top won't open, it's stuck on the driver left top..what can I do to fit this problem..ANYONE please help..I live 6 hours to the closest MB Dealer ship

·
Super Moderator
28,978 Posts

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts
Just brought myself a smart car, but got a problem, my soft top won't open, it's stuck on the driver left top..what can I do to fit this problem.
Welcome to SCoA.

MY08 cabrio - Private Party sale or "Dealer?" Sold "as is?"

Did the top open when you did your test drive? Cabrio top repair can be an expensive date - might try to get some "help" from the seller?

You didn't mention your location (6 hours from a M-B shop doesn't sound promising) but a local upholstery shop can sometimes help with a rag top . . .

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
There is a couple You Tube video, on how to repair. The Cabrio roof top. By a actual smart tech. Very helpful. The only other alternative, is taking it in. The $$$$$ MB/smart dealership. The videos shows alignment of the tracks, installing, etc.

Check them out. Type in You Tube.....

smart car cabriolet roof problems.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Problems

Just brought myself a smart car, but got a problem, my soft top won't open, it's stuck on the driver left top..what can I do to fit this problem..ANYONE please help..I live 6 hours to the closest MB Dealer ship
I can not begin to go into the problems I went through with MB Manhattan, MB Collsion Center, Secaucus, NJ, MBUSA, MBFinancial, MBService, Daimler but I can sum it up in one sentence.

A kind girl took the time to look at my file which included a 2016 Smart Gas and my current 2018 Smart ED. I could not get one person, under 100 separate people to break and give me something to use.

She said I do not have even a clue where to begin. You have been abused by all entities from purchase/lease to receiving a damaged 100% brand new car.

You have been totally neglected, taken advantage of at each step along the way. I know you must be very angry but I want to apologize on behalf of Mecedes Benz and Daimler as a whole who have let you down in every respect.

As a last thought, if you buy a Smart you have to expect quirks, no service from any dealer after the sale or any emails or phone calls returned. It was escalated to the executive department at the hghest level, a woman by the name of Jenny.

Even with pre-existing damage, a structurally unsound battery cage repair, unsafe mechanical repair, a defective turn signal assembly and a no start issue after being in the MB facility for 36 days. There was more damage done at the dealership and body shop than it was sent down with. A Mercedes Benz, a six million dollar facility and a probable third accident at the MB body shop, my threat to file in NY under the lemon law, she said, I can’t help you, goodbye.

MBManhattan will not have Mercedes at the end of the year. MB Collision Center is being evacuated and no one will be left. I was informed that the entire corporate structure is moving down South. All execs had left as of four months ago and nothing will remain. Although I didn’t have the power to make this happen, I do now.

I found that through all of this I still love my Smart. I did an early return on the 2016 gas and it almost brought retail at an auction in Syracuse, NY. It had a year and eight months and 3100 miles. Autovin perfect except for a glitchy display.

They made a total mess of the car and since April 2nd, 2018, I still do not have an ED decal for the left pillar.

The last thing i can positively say is there are more collective experts present on this forum who could most probably manufacture a Smart Passion Barabus from a junk yard. I thank you all for your help.

I hope your problem is just an oiling or grease issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts