Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...newbie here. I have an 08 gas Smart up here Canada. It has 83K kms/ 51K miles. Here are the following issues:
  • It fires up on a cold start, then sputters/farts and shuts off. Restart and she's good to go. Sometimes I will get a engine light w/ P301/2/3. Swapped coil packs and cleaned plugs, it seemed to help but will still sputter and fart then shut off only when cold, I.e. first thing in the am.
  • Secondly, again when I fire it up first thing in the am, there is a high pitched WHIRL...its not the starter hanging up...lol, the starter does hang up...that's another issue. The high pitch WHIRL lasts from 10-15 sec and then shuts off. :unsure: Thoughts?
  • As stated above, starter occasionally hangs up. Solenoid? Ignition switch?
  • AC compressor does not switch on. Fuses and relay good. Thoughts?
Thank you in advance.

Darcy

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
There is an air injection pump (pollution system) on all gas smarts that runs for about the amount of time you indicate then shuts off. Totally normal and concerns lots of new owners.

Have you had the refrigerant checked in the AC system? If low, the compressor won’t kick on. Could also be a defective pressure switch. Sounds like you need to have the system checked by a competent service tech.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is an air injection pump (pollution system) on all gas smarts that runs for about the amount of time you indicate then shuts off. Totally normal and concerns lots of new owners.

Have you had the refrigerant checked in the AC system? If low, the compressor won’t kick on. Could also be a defective pressure switch. Sounds like you need to have the system checked by a competent service tech.
Yes, the evacuated the system and when they were ready to charge the system I started the car and we noticed that the AC compressor did not kick in. I would imagine the tech would know the pressure switch would have to be charged in order for the compressor to kick in....theyre the best AC shop in my home town. Anyhow, thank you for your feedback.

Darcy

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
There is a way of preventing low pressure switch from keeping the compressor from running while charging the system. As you said, a competent AC tech should know what to do to activate the compressor while charging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts