Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, for a 2008 Smart Fortwo, while driving, the ABS and triangle w/ exclamation point lights will turn on and off, then on and off again about 15 minutes each time. When the lights are off (ABS functioning/working/turned on ) and i press the brake, i feel a locking on the wheels, like a skipping sensation. And obviously when the ABS/Triangle w/ exclamation point Lights turns off (ABS shut off) i have no problem, no skipping feeling when i press the brakes (i know its because the ABS is shut off and not locking the wheels). My Questions are these. When the Lights go on, can i grab an OBD2 scanner and get a code for the ABS? or will it not show up? Will the OBD2, pinpoint where the problem might be? Such as which sensor etc? Also, can a faulty Tire Pressure Sensor cause the ABS to activate/deactivate like that? I had the tire changed at a "Professional" shop: STS, they couldn't find a sensor and i think they "rigged" it or something. About a month later my ABS problems start to appear. I also think the snow and cold had something to do with it. Is there any special procedure i should do, anything i should be aware of before doing some basic ABS diagnostics/troubleshooting?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
A tire pressure sensor has nothing to do with the ABS function. I suspect the triangle light is on because when you step on the brake the system thinks a wheel is not turning and it is trying to release it. A generic OBD-II code reader will not read ABS faults unless it specifically states it will. Get a scan tool that will access the ABS system to check for fault codes first. If the ABS system only thinks there is a wheel not turning it will see that as normal operation and not set a code. In that case, the thing to do is use a scan tool that will graph the wheel speeds and see which one drops out when you are slowing and braking. That wheel will be the one with the wheel speed sensor signal dropping out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A tire pressure sensor has nothing to do with the ABS function. I suspect the triangle light is on because when you step on the brake the system thinks a wheel is not turning and it is trying to release it. A generic OBD-II code reader will not read ABS faults unless it specifically states it will. Get a scan tool that will access the ABS system to check for fault codes first. If the ABS system only thinks there is a wheel not turning it will see that as normal operation and not set a code. In that case, the thing to do is use a scan tool that will graph the wheel speeds and see which one drops out when you are slowing and braking. That wheel will be the one with the wheel speed sensor signal dropping out.
i have an INNOVA 3100f, not sure if it will pick up ABS fault codes for Smart (if it even did leave a code). I guess i'll have to get a tool that will read live data am i right? Can anyone recommend the very best, one that would even costs thousands and then one thats economical like in the hundred(s). I just want to cross reference the very best with something economical.

Well, im new to ABS troubleshooting/repairing. Are there any other methods besides using expensive scan tools or are these tools essential?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have an INNOVA 3100f, not sure if it will pick up ABS fault codes for Smart (if it even did leave a code). I guess i'll have to get a tool that will read live data am i right? Can anyone recommend the very best, one that would even costs thousands and then one thats economical like in the hundred(s). I just want to cross reference the very best with something economical. Well, im new to ABS troubleshooting/repairing. Are there any other methods besides using expensive scan tools or are these tools essential?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
definitely will check those out. Do the front wheels have any of those reluctor rings as well? If not, what mechanism does smart use for there front tires? Also, at this time i guess while the rotor/drum is off, it'll be a good a idea to whip any dust, dirt or grease that may be on the Wheel Speed Sensors.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Drew Technologies Cardaq-M or Cardaq-Plus2 on the expensive side.... I have a Mongoose Pro for Toyota/Lexus vehicles, (and even though "not supported" connected to my wife's C-MAX Energi).

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Drew Technologies Cardaq-M or Cardaq-Plus2 on the expensive side.... I have a Mongoose Pro for Toyota/Lexus vehicles, (and even though "not supported" connected to my wife's C-MAX Energi).
To be clear, Drew-Tech devices are J-2534 compliant pass-through devices, not scan tools. One would still need the scan software to communicate with the vehicle. This assumes legitimate Drew-Tech hardware and not some cloned crap that comes with hacked software.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
To be clear, Drew-Tech devices are J-2534 compliant pass-through devices, not scan tools. One would still need the scan software to communicate with the vehicle. This assumes legitimate Drew-Tech hardware and not some cloned crap that comes with hacked software.
Good point. There are ways to download the OE software for Toyota and still use it. The Mercedes OEM tool, not a Chinese copy, is a whopping $20k if my research was accurate. Even the fakes are quite expensive. I have no idea on how much the software is. I'm afraid it is a lease of some sort in the $1k to $2k range. I bought an aftermarket Bavarian Technic for BMW, but kind of regret not just saving up for the Drew Cardaq in afterthought. I had to install old version to 1.8.6.0 to be able to reset service interval settings on my mother's E90. The Mongoose Pro for Toyota is almost basically the OE scan equipment, sans software that is. It does give OEM level access, with the appropriate software. So I spent about $1300 so far, and I could have just saved a little more....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts