Smart Car of America Forum banner

2008 SMART FORTWO NOT STARTING

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  wahi 
#1 ·
MY WIFE DROVE THE 2008 SMART CAR WITH NO PROBLEM AND GOT HOME TO GO ZUMBA YESTERDAY AND THEN THE CAR WENT DEAD........I WENT OUT TO CHECK AND I TURN THE KEY AND JUST ONE CLICK NOISE CAME FROM THE BACK OF THE CAR.........SO I TOLD MY WIFE TO START THE CAR WHILE I AM UNDERNEATH THE CAR AND I SAW THE METAL PIECE FROM THE TRANSMISSION WENT TO THE DRIVER SIDE DIRECTION ONCE AND DID NOTHING... SO I TRY TO JUMP START THE CAR WITH A JUMP START CABLE HOOK UP TO MY SUBARU IMPRAZA AND THE SMART CAR BATTERY......BUT JUST THE SAME THING........ ONE CLICK NOISE FROM THE REAR BOTTOM OF THE CAR...... JUST WONDER ANYONE KNOWS WHAT IS WRONG? I CAN SHIFT TO N WITH NO PROBLEM...JUST CAN NOT START THE ENGINE............MAY BE TCU PROBLEM? THANKS FOR THE HELP.....

#7 ·
Killer, your problem description sounds like something more involved than “spray and clean.” More likely, something has broken.

The starter is indeed the car on the left side. If you know what you are looking for, you can see the electrics connections from the rear wheel well. Look for a heavy gauge wire a little bigger than a pencil in diameter that’s connected to a bolt and held in with a nut. Where the wire attaches to the starter, it has an electrical “eye” connector that the starter attachment bolt goes through. Sometimes this connector becomes corroded and needs to be replaced. There is also a heavy wire that goes from the solenoid part of the starter (the smaller of the two cylinders that comprise the starter housing) to the larger cylinder. This wire can also become corroded and break. If you aren’t comfortable working with these parts, it might be worth it to consult a mechanic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.