Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been sitting for awhile. Recently the battery was dead again. I'd been having problems with it going dead while sitting. I replaced the battery with a brand new battery, and it starts and runs great. The problem is.... the shift lever will NOT move out of Park. Also...the traction control light on the dash, as well as the ABS lights, keep coming on. I'm not getting any lines on the dash, and I checked for trouble codes and there aren't any, but still it will NOT shift out of Park. Any thoughts or ideas about what might be wrong, and what to try next?

·
Registered
356 Posts
My car has been sitting for awhile. Recently the battery was dead again. I'd been having problems with it going dead while sitting. I replaced the battery with a brand new battery, and it starts and runs great. The problem is.... the shift lever will NOT move out of Park. Also...the traction control light on the dash, as well as the ABS lights, keep coming on. I'm not getting any lines on the dash, and I checked for trouble codes and there aren't any, but still it will NOT shift out of Park. Any thoughts or ideas about what might be wrong, and what to try next?
Your owner's manual will show you how to get the shifter out of park by prying up the front left hand corner of the console and pushing up on the yellow tab with a screwdriver. Once out of park, perform the transmission re-teach by turning the ignition switch to position #1, foot on brake pedal, and move the shifter slowly to reverse, neutral, and drive, and then slowly back to park. Hopefully, that will solve your issues. To prevent your battery from going flat, it is best to leave the car on a maintenance charger such as a battery tender. Please let us know if you were able to get your car to go into gear.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your owner's manual will show you how to get the shifter out of park by prying up the front left hand corner of the console and pushing up on the yellow tab with a screwdriver. Once out of park, perform the transmission re-teach by turning the ignition switch to position #1, foot on brake pedal, and move the shifter slowly to reverse, neutral, and drive, and then slowly back to park. Hopefully, that will solve your issues. To prevent your battery from going flat, it is best to leave the car on a maintenance charger such as a battery tender. Please let us know if you were able to get your car to go into gear.
Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts