Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
The procedures, in general, for A/C clutch removal, usually require a puller. I would also make sure you can acquire a new clutch or at least the clutch bearing which may also require special tools to r & r the bearing once removed from the compressor shaft. Usually a good idea to replace the compressor seal as well. Because of the extra labor, most shops replace the entire compressor unit that includes a new clutch. Probably the least expensive way is to source a used compressor with a clutch and take your chances that this compressor won't leak once installed and charged with R-134A refrigerant.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The procedures, in general, for A/C clutch removal, usually require a puller. I would also make sure you can acquire a new clutch or at least the clutch bearing which may also require special tools to r & r the bearing once removed from the compressor shaft. Usually a good idea to replace the compressor seal as well. Because of the extra labor, most shops replace the entire compressor unit that includes a new clutch. Probably the least expensive way is to source a used compressor with a clutch and take your chances that this compressor won't leak once installed and charged with R-134A refrigerant.
a new clutch appears to be available:

i figured a puller of some sorts was required, but would it be a MB specialty item like the lowering bolts or simply one that i can get from the local parts store loan-a-tool stock or Harbor Freight? eBay lists this possibility:

OR this which seems like a specialty tool (or simpler tool)

yes, replacing the entire compressor/clutch assembly would be ideal but i really don't want to open up that can of worms by opening the system by removing/replacing the compressor or the seal, the a/c itself seems to be working properly. watching and listening to the clutch engage/disengage or simply spin, there is a rough grinding sound that "I" think is the clutch bearing (as i said the a/c itself seems to be working, a toasted compressor wouldn't/shouldn't)

Thanks

Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts