Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 09 Smart Fortwo, with 34,000 miles on it, that won’t start.
I replaced the battery, replaced the starter, replaced the key fob battery 2 times so far.
All the lights on the dash come on, radio comes one, turn to start and I can hear the starter relay click, but nothing else.
No errors show on the dash.
When I connect the Mercede/Smart diagnostic reader it shows an unknown 919a code and key fob battery dead or in backwards, which it is not.
Been a great car for the past 2 years and would like to keep it that way, but it is way smarter than I am right now.
Any help or direction is appreciated.
Thank you

·
Registered
332 Posts
You said the starter relay clicks... do the interior lights go dim at the same time, which would indicate the engine not turning over, or starter frozen. Since its a new starter, could the motor be seized? Put car in gear, and push it a little, does it bump up against the gears. Is the oil level OK? Make sure you are in P, do the tranny relearn, try to start again. Hope the motor is not seized.

·
Registered
332 Posts
OK, so the engine does turn over when you try to start. You now need to determine why it will not run. The key fob should not be the problem, as that would prevent the engine from turning via the immobilizer. I think next two obvious things to check would be fuel, then spark. How long now has it been since last time it ran? How was it running then? Did you do any thing that was unusual, or possibly got some bad gas. Maybe a clogged fuel filter, do these cars have a fuel pump? Is there spark at the plugs? I am just thinking out loud here, hoping someone else will chime in and assist. If all this is good, then I would be thinking the computers that seem to control everything... SAM, ECU.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hi all,
I have a 09 Smart Fortwo, with 34,000 miles on it, that won’t start.
I replaced the battery, replaced the starter, replaced the key fob battery 2 times so far.
All the lights on the dash come on, radio comes one, turn to start and I can hear the starter relay click, but nothing else.
No errors show on the dash.
When I connect the Mercede/Smart diagnostic reader it shows an unknown 919a code and key fob battery dead or in backwards, which it is not.
Been a great car for the past 2 years and would like to keep it that way, but it is way smarter than I am right now.
Any help or direction is appreciated.
Thank you
I'd suggest probing the starter & solenoid connections while attempting to start the vehicle. Something does not seem right here.

The code you found re the battery fob is likely a stored code. Note that the fob battery is NOT needed to start the car. If the key was bad, you'd see a key icon on the dash.

~toaster

·
Super Moderator
28,699 Posts
Don't you need the fob battery for the key to communicate with the immobilizer? I didn't think the car would start unless the immobilizer recognized the fob? :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Don't you need the fob battery for the key to communicate with the immobilizer? I didn't think the car would start unless the immobilizer recognized the fob? :)
This ain't no fancy Mercedes where the doors unlock as you approach and the fob can stay in your pocket! ;)

Try it! Pull the battery out of your remote...it will still start the car.

There are two circuits and antennas inside the OEM remote...one for the remote lock/unlock function which requires power from the fob's battery...and a second which couples to the transponder coil located around the ignition switch. The transponder coil both powers up the chip and queries it for the code.

~toaster

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not an expert but would not checkimg all the fuses and connectors / harnessess at the sam for correct voltage be a step somewhere

1 - 9 of 9 Posts