Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I took it to another place, they said because the passenger seat was removed the weight moved. Now this place sat's I need a/c compressor and condenser $2,800. I found parts on amazon for $200. They only use their parts and will only rebuild the compressor. got a offer of 3,500 from a guy with a shop here. I my have to that way don't know? At least they found a code.
Computer Wood Rectangle Font Personal computer

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Oh, so the AC on your smart had never worked since you bought it? What year is your smart again?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
$1,000 your safety, or life?
Back home I have a 66 right hand drive triumph spitfire my wife has a 66 mustang gt 350 and we have 2 harleys I'm 74 I raced modified sportsman, demolition derby and raced for Honda, Triumph and harley. NO air bags, Cancer is what's killing me (smoking).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Oh, so the AC on your smart had never worked since you bought it? What year is your smart again?
2009 A/C always worked till the car sat unused. I never had one problem with this car. My carfax said I drove it 880 miles per year. It was only driving in and around Boston. In Boston I had 4 cars 3 motorcycles. I retired 24 years ago with too many toys! All my cars have battery disconnects and trickle charges used on high end cars.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
Back home I have a 66 right hand drive triumph spitfire my wife has a 66 mustang gt 350 and we have 2 harleys I'm 74 I raced modified sportsman, demolition derby and raced for Honda, Triumph and harley. NO air bags, Cancer is what's killing me (smoking).
I quit smoking 25 years. Nasty habit.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I took it to another place, they said because the passenger seat was removed the weight moved. Now this place sat's I need a/c compressor and condenser $2,800. I found parts on amazon for $200. They only use their parts and will only rebuild the compressor. got a offer of 3,500 from a guy with a shop here. I my have to that way don't know? At least they found a code.
View attachment 67920
That doesn’t sound right. The B1002 is likely a faulty temperature sensor or damaged wiring. It’s above the passenger footwell and is relatively easy to access. The connectors are somewhat fragile and can break causing this issue.

·
Registered
627 Posts
^ I think it’s built into the actual unit according to the service manual on the wiring diagram.
I’ll look in the car and see if that’s one of the typos I’ve seen in the manual.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just feel really bad for jlbishop. I have a MB Star. If I were closer, I would go and try and fix it myself.
This is unrelated to the jlbishop's problems. I read that you have a MB Star, I would be happy to drive to Upstate NY, to have an intelligent person explain my car's issue with reverse.

On hot days, either it won't go into reverse or it will make repeated thuds before finding that gear. I've lived with this for 6 years and I actually try to find a hill to park on so I don't need to use reverse.

·
Registered
75 Posts
View attachment 67920
I would like some clarification for my own knowledge; "... the weight moved"? Is this saying the seat sensor was moved to a new mounting location when the seat was out?
As a side note: another Smart car owner told me he made the mistake of turning on the ignition when the seat was out, and afterward it would not go over 10 mph. Does the CAN put the car into a slow/safety mode as well as turning on the light, or did this person have other problems as well?

·
Registered
627 Posts
It’s likely multiple issues that they had.
I’ve never heard of a air bag code limiting overall top speed.
Transmission code yes air bag code no.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I would like some clarification for my own knowledge; "... the weight moved"? Is this saying the seat sensor was moved to a new mounting location when the seat was out?
As a side note: another Smart car owner told me he made the mistake of turning on the ignition when the seat was out, and afterward it would not go over 10 mph. Does the CAN put the car into a slow/safety mode as well as turning on the light, or did this person have other problems as well?
When the went to the dealer he was to replace the driver side seatbelt. He replaced the passenger one instead, to do this he had to remove the seat. Then he replaced the drivers side. They told me the light was still on and no codes. They wanted to start replacing parts. I took it to another place they pulled a code. I have 3 wks than I lose my garage and I'll just put it up for sale.
I drove 500 miles this weekend love the car but in Fort Myers nobody works on them. I come from Boston don't know anyone here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
It’s likely multiple issues that they had.
I’ve never heard of a air bag code limiting overall top speed.
Transmission code yes air bag code no.
I drove 75 to Miami this weekend did 500 miles no problem.

·
Registered
627 Posts
That’s good.
One thing I noticed since I got me a second smart for a couple projects I have planned so there is a sensor attached to a box on the end of the passenger side seat belt(had me puzzled) I didn’t know where the wire plugged into till I looked at the seat in both cars as it plugged into a connector on the outboard side of the seat near the back right side(it would be obvious)
There is also a box on the underside of the seat that the passenger detection sensor goes to(I didn’t know if the box as I figured it all when the sr’s module.
You may want to just carefully remove the seat and check this connections.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts