Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
PLEASE let there be one for me in September 09!
It said in the email that the Brabus is debuting in Feb. 2009. It sounded to me that they are only available to those currently holding reservations while have not been invited to configure yet like you and me. So, you will be waiting in another (shorter:cheers:) line after you switch to Brabus. Chances are you will get one in Feb. Does it sound even better?

·
Registered
841 Posts
So, the euro brabus has a 98hp turbo engine, and a quicker shifting transmission.
went on smart.com website and brabus coupe is 17.700,00 euros = 22k us dollars.
The BRABUS will have a big mouth and shiny new trousers, but the 70 HP engine, so it's all show and no go.
So Smartville will build modified Brabus (exterior) with the old 70HP engines, at higher prices, just for USA?

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
That is the implication I had a few months ago from someone in M-B Canada (our smart importer) - that the proper BRABUS would not be certified for North America due to the low volumes, so instead we would be getting a dressed-up regular US/CDN fortwo, maybe with the sport suspension.

My guess is it may not even have the sport suspension, and may have 15 inch wheels instead of the 16/17 inch combo the European BRABUS has.

Canada got two BRABUS versions of the 450 model: a very limited edition for $40 K CAD (unreal price) in monotone red or white with a very fancy interior, and a cheaper one for a "mere" $26K called the "nightrun". Both these cars had the 40.2 HP diesel engine, and 15 inch BRABUS Monoblock 6 wheels with the skinny 145/65-15 tires stretched onto the 5.5 inch wide front rims, and 175/55-15 skinnies stretched onto the rear 6.5 inch wide rear rims! Not only was it a joke, the skinny tires were unsafe on those wheels!

I hope I am wrong on all counts, because I would be the first in line to buy a real 451 BRABUS, with 98 HP.

·
Registered
139 Posts
oh no!!! more decisions!!! i really want a cabrio (for my surfboard.), but i think the transmission in the brabus is definitely worth it!!! if its not waaaayyy to much i will probably get the brabus... i like performance :)

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Remember: the US version of the BRABUS will likely have no more performance than a regular US smart, and the transmission will be the same as other US 451s. I'm not sure what you are referring to....

·
Registered
651 Posts
smart not smart

Too many questions and not enough answers. I would get one only if it has the upgraded engine.Will they be like the rest of the world ,coupe and cabrio?:confused:

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
That is the implication I had a few months ago from someone in M-B Canada (our smart importer) - that the proper BRABUS would not be certified for North America due to the low volumes, so instead we would be getting a dressed-up regular US/CDN fortwo, maybe with the sport suspension.

My guess is it may not even have the sport suspension, and may have 15 inch wheels instead of the 16/17 inch combo the European BRABUS has.

Canada got two BRABUS versions of the 450 model: a very limited edition for $40 K CAD (unreal price) in monotone red or white with a very fancy interior, and a cheaper one for a "mere" $26K called the "nightrun". Both these cars had the 40.2 HP diesel engine, and 15 inch BRABUS Monoblock 6 wheels with the skinny 145/65-15 tires stretched onto the 5.5 inch wide front rims, and 175/55-15 skinnies stretched onto the rear 6.5 inch wide rear rims! Not only was it a joke, the skinny tires were unsafe on those wheels!

I hope I am wrong on all counts, because I would be the first in line to buy a real 451 BRABUS, with 98 HP.

Me too - I would be highly suspect of that info...certianly I hope smartusa would not have the nerve to offer a "skin only" version of the Brabus here in the states -talk about a slap in the face!

Their email certainly suggests its the same model available in Europe....

The very popular and sporty smart fortwo BRABUS model will make its debut in the United States beginning in February 2009, and you will have the opportunity to be one of the first customers to own this exciting vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got the Brabus announcement too... have to read a lot more on this topic to know if this is what I want to do or not.

So, the current reservation holders who haven't configured and go to the Brabus, should help the rest of us move up in the ForTwo queue? :) If that's the case, that is good news for everyone!

Are the Brabus and the ForTwo made in the same factory in France or is the Brabus manufactured (only?) in Germany?

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
The name "Brabus" sells, but I'm afraid that's just cosmetic, at least for US. Let's wait until a recipient of the "special offer" has gone through the steps and can post... :wink:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Less than 1500 Brabus units. Black/Black or Silver/Silver. Only offered to current reservation holders, in order, who have NOT configured. The Brabus configuration widow will only be open for a short time to that reservation holder. A full line of Brabus accessories will be offered. NO TURBO
At or before 5pm PST (8pm EST) Today
e-mails with links to Brabus configuration will arrive
(only valid for short window)?

·
Registered
651 Posts
from a good source

The Brabus will be available to Reservation Holders in the near future as they will be able to go to a special web site to convert their reservation to a Brabus. No turbo upgrade due for the launch, but a Brabus Sport is in the works that will incorporate the turbo (no release date). The Brabus will only come in 2 colors – Black and Silver – with matching Tridion Cell (no 2-tone coloring). Both the Coupe and Cabriolet will be available. Exterior wise, it will have the Brabus logo on the gas cap, front grille, and rear bumper and an aggressive front, side, and rear bumper design. Interior touches include chrome sport gas and brake pedals, silver painted dashboard end caps, and Brabus floor mats. Performance includes a sport exhaust with dual center tips, sport suspension, Brabus monoblock 6-Spoke wheels, 15” front wheels, 17” rear wheels, and Electronic Power Steering.

Hope this helps

21 - 40 of 183 Posts