Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm due to get my Smart Fortwo in late fall....Will it be a 2008 or 2009 model...Has anybody heard when the 2009s will be released??
Tstarky

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Generally model year changeover in European factories is september -ish, unlike domestically (mid-summer) - which seems to get earlier all the time!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
All we know is pure speculation.... I really would like to hear Dr Z and R Pensky address this topic.... They probably don't know the complete answer, but I bet they have much better educated guesses then we do.

Could be MB will produce 08s on thier natural schedule and continue with 09 without retooling or training because current rumor is zero 09 changes.

I suspect through the 07 Euro spec and 08 Euro / North America spec there will be subtle changes, elimination of errors (door lock modules part num confusion) and maybe minor cosmetic changes.

Market forces could cause different exterior or interior color and materiel choices. If there are any different NA / USA options--- I suspect the lists of late reservations who will be in the 09 group may see them on the configurator form

Really to early to do more then speculate

I hold a 1470 res num and expect it to be a 09 and perhaps other "choices"... I am fairly sure I will not be offered a 09 Pulse option or any Turbo option.

I will put in a third reservation in time to be very early 2010 confirmation hoping for a factory Pulse turbo model

I strongly think any well maintained 08 or 09 can be traded in for little or no lost equity the first few years....

·
Registered
931 Posts
All we know is pure speculation.... I really would like to hear Dr Z and R Pensky address this topic.... They probably don't know the complete answer, but I bet they have much better educated guesses then we do.

Could be MB will produce 08s on thier natural schedule and continue with 09 without retooling or training because current rumor is zero 09 changes.

I suspect through the 07 Euro spec and 08 Euro / North America spec there will be subtle changes, elimination of errors (door lock modules part num confusion) and maybe minor cosmetic changes.

Market forces could cause different exterior or interior color and materiel choices. If there are any different NA / USA options--- I suspect the lists of late reservations who will be in the 09 group may see them on the configurator form

Really to early to do more then speculate

I hold a 1470 res num and expect it to be a 09 and perhaps other "choices"... I am fairly sure I will not be offered a 09 Pulse option or any Turbo option.

I will put in a third reservation in time to be very early 2010 confirmation hoping for a factory Pulse turbo model

I strongly think any well maintained 08 or 09 can be traded in for little or no lost equity the first few years....
As a fellow 1470 I agree, but be cool about the mods and doodads on your potential trade-in smart.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Somewhere I read that 2011 is to be a pivotal year for smart. If smart does well up to that point there will be a new facelift for 2011; it it doesn't, smart is all done.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I had google translate a few French and German auto news items. What fishrdnc said seems to be the common wisdom in their trade news... this NA version 451 is the last chance for the Smart brand and 2010~2011 are major decision years

Fortunately, what I have heard Dr Z was researching/considering.... re allocate from under performing markets to the NA market ...The tone sounds like this may be a serious option....

According to the items I read. MB-Smart is doing a hard sell ad campaign to bolster sales.... lots of lamenting world economy slow down, and plenty of complaints that it is all America's fault.

One report suggested the French President getting friendly with Bush was to enhance trade ---deep in the article was a reference to all sorts of exports from France to America---the Smart car was listed--- and why my search engine found the article

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
jediknight36

1.... great little car for the price--fun to drive--relatively cheap to own and operate

2.... resale should be better then most competitors for first two~three years

3.... more demand in this market segment is good for America*

4.....more demand increases competition from other brands and consumers always will in competitive markets

5....odds are good that oil will continue into new highs over $100per bbl... no doubt we see $3.50 this summer fall back to $3.25 in the fall setting up same dynamic to get us in the $3.75~$4.25 game in less then 24 months....by 2010 we will be done complaining and freely paying near $4.00 as if it was normal....this represents a 200+% increase in under 10 years something this market has never done and sustained...

1,2 and 5 are good sense reasons to get one-- 3 and 4 are good citizen reasons to get one...

* good for America in the sense that we really do need to think smaller and more effecient... I own and use SUVs and big trucks..I would like to continue to--- for the purpose they are best suited...one person commuting in the giant arsed gas suckers is irresponsible and economically stupid

·
Registered
10 Posts
I picked up my Smart from Smart Tysons which is HBL - the US distributor. I was told that '09s will most likely not be released until January/february '09. Of course this all depends on the 70% threshold of reservation to takers being maintained. If more people drop and the list moves quicker, I suspect you'll see '09s earlier. I'd also expect a price change (market adjustment and all) for the '09s. The car will be the same, but in the event of a price change they want to deliver '08s to everyone they've promised '08s to.

I was told a decision was made to bring the diesel in, which I interpreted to mean as a 2010 since I was told no changes for 09. I'm depositing on a diesel as soon as i can.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
... I was told a decision was made to bring the diesel in, which I interpreted to mean as a 2010 since I was told no changes for 09. I'm depositing on a diesel as soon as i can.
There is something unique in 2010 about Euro diesels and the U.S.

The EU and the U.S. are both ratcheting up emissions standards incrementally, but they are out of phase. Year 2010 is a year that EU standards will exceed ours before our next step-up in 2011 will close the window again. It may be a one-year shot at this point. But...

... We are still hobbled by the mass of additional hardware needed to make a diesel 50-state compliant. Tough for a very small smart to fit in, and if the EPA remains fixed upon aqueous urea systems, there will be infrastructure problems to deal with the dealer-only urea replenishment.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Fishrdnc

Becuse you followed that particular issue closer then I did..(will never own diesel again..ever)

Perhaps you should do a tech thread in the appropriate forum and explain the EPA standard, and how the various system work and what thier foot print is...

I can add in the current troubels big truck (Ford Chevy Dodge) are having with these changes

FoMoCo is on 5th diesel motor design in 10 years just chasing the EPA standards.. and I might add the the current incarnation is a $6000 option motor that does not get significantly better fuel economy becuse of all the EPA crap it must comply with

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Fishrdnc

Becuse you followed that particular issue closer then I did..(will never own diesel again..ever)

Perhaps you should do a tech thread in the appropriate forum and explain the EPA standard, and how the various system work and what thier foot print is...

I can add in the current troubels big truck (Ford Chevy Dodge) are having with these changes

FoMoCo is on 5th diesel motor design in 10 years just chasing the EPA standards.. and I might add the the current incarnation is a $6000 option motor that does not get significantly better fuel economy becuse of all the EPA crap it must comply with
Well, yah, I can do that, but it won't be immediatly. I've got a lot going on right now with the yachting website that I own and co-moderate. But for now, one should not try to wish it into reality; there is a lot to it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ya, the reason for getting a diesel has evaporated. Price of fuel, cost of maintaining the engine vs a gas engine and initial price. My truck has been in the shop now twice for injectors. Under warranty, but the truck is now out of warranty and it would be like 3 grand to change the injectors again. The truck is worth now about 12 grand on trade in. No more diesel for me either. I will keep the truck till it dies, paid for now, but never again to buy one unless I need the power.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
bobbynyma... sounds like you and I and thousands others learned some expensive lessons the hard way... fortunatley I got out of my PSD before she was out of warranty...

I love the power of my V10 and when she is working as designed pulling a heavy load the fuel costs make sense...but I freely admit it is a stupid vshicle for commuting in

1 - 17 of 17 Posts