Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has 260k miles. Until recently it’s run perfectly with only routine service and maintenance. Now the check engine light is on and it’s lost compression in one of the cylinders (mechanic’s diagnosis). How do I fix this?

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
Maybe a burnt valve You got a lot of miles, on the clock. Sound like you might need yourself a new engine. Source out salvage ones, and a good mechanic. If you plan to keep your car. It’s a a 12 year old car. Might not be worth spending the money, fixing it.

Sorry!

·
Super Moderator
17,623 Posts
Welcome to the forum! That's some impressive mileage you have there.

Before you start sourcing a new engine, throw some Marvel Mystery Oil into it. We've had members experience the same as you, only to recover their engines with MMO. Marvel Mystery Oil basically cleans up carbon deposits and all that from your engine; which, at 260k, may be quite a bit.

Reactions: Bob Ricewasser

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe a burnt valve You got a lot of miles, on the clock. Sound like you might need yourself a new engine. Source out salvage ones, and a good mechanic. If you plan to keep your car. It’s a a 12 year old car. Might not be worth spending the money, fixing it.

Sorry!
Thanks for the quick reply. It’s been at the mechanic’s since 03dec. Perhaps it is time to bury it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Before you start sourcing a new engine, throw some Marvel Mystery Oil into it. We've had members experience the same as you, only to recover their engines with MMO. Marvel Mystery Oil basically cleans up carbon deposits and all that from your engine; which, at 260k, may be quite a bit.
Where would I find MMO?

·
Super Moderator
17,623 Posts
Where would I find MMO?
Pretty much any auto parts store or Walmart. When my 2012 presented itself to have iffy compression I threw it into both the oil and the fuel tank. It's been a while, so I forget what others have done. That 2012 is healthy as ever at 175k miles, though.

·
Super Moderator
17,623 Posts
I think the OP can skip the OBII reader since they have presumably taken the car to a mechanic and the mechanic found low compression.

That is, unless the mechanic was simply guessing. Then an OBII reader will come in handy. They'll most likely see misfire codes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the OP can skip the OBII reader since they have presumably taken the car to a mechanic and the mechanic found low compression.

That is, unless the mechanic was simply guessing. Then an OBII reader will come in handy. They'll most likely see misfire codes.
I assumed the mechanic did the reader...I’ve decided to go get my car since I’m $2000 into work that’s not repaired it. I’m going to try the MMO and look for another mechanic. I love my car.

·
Super Moderator
29,251 Posts
If it is truly a burned valve, the MMO isn't going to help. Been there, done that. :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
MMO is cheap. Give it a shot. Nothing to lose at this point. And even if it is dead, you're sitting on hundreds of dollars worth of parts.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts

Actual we used Marvel Mystery Oil, for engines that are seized up with corrosion. You squirt down the spark plug holes into the cylinder heads. Let it set for a couple days. Turn the crank bolt to free up the pistons. Used that stuff on many of car restorations. He got a burnt valve. Loss of compression. Marvel mystery oil is not going to bring back compression.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has it been confirmed as a burnt valve? Thought it was a questionable diagnosis of low compression.
They haven’t said burnt valve only that I have compression trouble. They replaced so many parts already and still compression is lacking. Ugh.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Have they provided a list of what they have actually done and what they have actually replaced? I think there's a special place in Hell for disreputable repair people. Not saying yours are. Yet. But $2K is a lot to throw at a problem without any apparent improvement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have they provided a list of what they have actually done and what they have actually replaced? I think there's a special place in Hell for disreputable repair people. Not saying yours are. Yet. But $2K is a lot to throw at a problem without any apparent improvement.
I’ll get a full break down when I pick up my car. Very distressing. Hard to find a good mechanic that’s fully knowledgeable when it comes to smart cars...

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,734 Posts
Your profile states you are in Seattle. Flying Tiger Development is located in Richmond, British Columbia.. That is about 135 miles from you, but they are one of the best smart repair facilities in North America. They have been a Mercedes specialty shop since 1980 and taking care of smarts since they were first introduced in Canada. They have a website and their number is 1-604-270-3733. I have no interest in the company, just suggesting a shop with a great reputation near you. I live in Florida, so my info on them is just what I have read. Good luck with your repairs and welcome to the forum.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts