Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started out with my convertible top not latching completely. One day, it got stuck in the half down position.

I wound up taking it to the dealer. They switched out the convertible top motor and switch. They also said my top had shrunk, and quoted about $4000 to replace the soft top.

For now, the top is forced closed and latched but there’s a 1/4” gap. Is there any way to stretch the top back into position?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I know you can take out the back third brake light and from the inside there’s about 4 bolts holding the plastic wing on and once that’s off in the corner there are nylon straps you can follow to the rear corner to some bolts if you loosen them you can relieve some tension to go forward and backwards. I had to tighten mine not long ago cause my top was doing a lot of flapping in the wind

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey Goofy, by any chance do you have any pics of that procedure... my top seems to do the same.
dave... crazy maybe, but Smart 2!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorry no pics but pretty easy once the plastic wing is off. If you put the top back about 30% you can follow those straps all the way back to the bolt under the wing. Then close the top back loosen the bolt and pull the strap snug and tighten. If you go to tight with them then the top will struggle to close so you have to find that happy middle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts