Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My 2009 Passion with 40k miles recently developed an intermittent issue where it “clunks” into gear when selecting reverse. A slight gear grinding noise can be heard and one can feel the powertrain move in the chassis from the engagement. It does not do this all the time but it happens often enough now where I avoid using reverse wherever possible. It makes no difference if I am on flat ground or not, or if i select the gear slowly or quickly, etc. Engaging the drive gear is fine.

Yesterday I performed the Clutch Actuator Maintenance and Clutch Actuator Adjustment. Aside from smoother shifts there appeared to be no change with the clunking issue. Thinking of changing the transmission oil next then trying Shifter Motor Cleaning.

Any further suggestions? Thank you.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Software updates current? :)
Thanks,

Up to date as of about a year ago. I was having the occasional "will not select reverse" issue and after software updates were run that issue was resolved.

I fear I may be looking at a new clutch.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Another 2009 , Pure, 120,900 miles. Been having the problem in both first and reverse on and off for about 40,000 miles. Have tried cleaning and adjustment (in both directions) with little success in resolving the problem. I have noticed that it seems to be temperature sensitive and is worse when things are warm (above about 80 degrees F) or after a long run. There was no problem during the winter but as things warm up, the problem has returned.

Two days ago, after a short uphill drive with a warm engine, the clutch may have failed to disengage when I came to a stop - there was a loud CLUNK and the engine stalled. When the car restarted, the Check Engine light was on and the transmission would shift into Park and Neutral only. Car got a flatbed ride back home. Error codes for clutch actuator failure and clutch position sensor failure. Examination of the installed position of the clutch actuator showed it was where it was last installed and had not moved. The actuator was removed, examined for damage to gears and parts (none found), reassembled and reinstalled. A cold start test drive showed smooth shifting into first and reverse on flat and hills (uphill and downhill in first and reverse). A longer drive showed the hard shifting was still present.

A possible workaround was discovered last night: when at a stop, if the handbrake is engaged before removing pressure from the brake pedal and transferring to the throttle, the clunk will not occur and the first gear engagement seems to be normal. There seems to be some connection between the brake and the clutch actuation being harsh. Should we be looking somewhere else for the solution to this problem?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Sunday evening report:

Took a drive this afternoon, 45 miles 1 way, sufficient to get things warm. No problem with shifting from stop. However the temperature was only 75 degrees F. I was hoping the problem would appear as I wanted to change out the battery and see if that made a difference, as low battery voltage was mentioned on other threads discussing clutch problems. Changed battery tonight anyway. Tuesday, the temperature is going to be near 90 degrees F and I will be driving 1.5 hours each way to a client. Will report in on Tuesday evening on whether or not the shifting problem has reoccurred.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OP here, just an update.

I changed the transmission oil yesterday and put in Redline MT-90. I was shocked to see the dark brown watery fluid that came out, it was as thin as used motor oil. It had a very light metallic sheen on the surface. Recommend changing the tranny oil as maintenance item. I'm at 40k miles and it was clearly overdue.

I also took off the the clutch actuator again. I was surprised to find a small amount of what looked like water inside the unit. I had been fairly liberal with application of lithium spray grease a week or two ago, perhaps the water is a side product as the grease breaks down? Any way, I dried it off as best I could and added some standard heavy duty grease to the gear mechanism and motor gear.

Seems to shift smoother overall. I have not heard the reverse clunk since but I have only engaged reverse a few times. Jury is still out.

Also did my front brake pads and air filters yesterday. If I can get this clunk issue resolved I should be good to go!

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Hillclimber update

Changed the battery out Sunday evening 5/15 - not much space for maneuvering in there! Was ill for 5 days, did not make any trips until Saturday. The shifting at stop is still not good, but it has improved some as it no longer makes one think that the transmission is about to fail. Now it just jerks a little bit after things get really warm (like 100 miles). Not sure how much of the change was due to new battery (if any) and how much was due to last clutch actuator positioning (back to original factory location). Never a good idea to change two things at once when troubleshooting. Ambient temperature has been in the low 70's, if that is a factor.

The sequence of where the gear change into first occurs seems to have shifted. Previously, it shifted with a THUNK when pressure was relieved on the brake pedal when at a full stop. Now, it seems to be shifting just before coming to a stop, and the engagement is more gentle, but not smooth.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Hillclimber update

Changed the battery out Sunday evening 5/15 - not much space for maneuvering in there! Was ill for 5 days, did not make any trips until Saturday. The shifting at stop is still not good, but it has improved some as it no longer makes one think that the transmission is about to fail. Now it just jerks a little bit after things get really warm (like 100 miles). Not sure how much of the change was due to new battery (if any) and how much was due to last clutch actuator positioning (back to original factory location). Never a good idea to change two things at once when troubleshooting. Ambient temperature has been in the low 70's, if that is a factor.

The sequence of where the gear change into first occurs seems to have shifted. Previously, it shifted with a THUNK when pressure was relieved on the brake pedal when at a full stop. Now, it seems to be shifting just before coming to a stop, and the engagement is more gentle, but not smooth.
Just for giggles..........did you check the front engine mount ????

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
chieftmc:

Haven't checked the front engine mount, but it could be a possibility. One way I can get a really loud clunk is to come to a stop and quickly shift into reverse, which might cause some sort of misalignment problem if the engine and transmission were separate and not a unit, which I believe they are. Perhaps making sudden changes in direction causes some sort of torque or force to be transmitted by the drive shafts into the transmission that makes the normal shifting more difficult (sticky?), causing the clunking if the clutch is dragging. I will check the engine mount this weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts