Smart Car of America Forum banner

2009 Passion

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Miss Mercedes 
#1 ·
I sent a post re my 09 Passion just purchased. Here is a question that some of you may be able to answer. My car is black and silver. Inside of this car is a roof shade that indicates a sunroof. I think that the roof was covered with a vinyl wrap. Does any one think that the car would have been shipped new in this configuration.
I would like to remove the wrap but I do not know if I would have a mess on my hands. Any other way could I tell if there is a sunroof in the car? Any code in the VIN that would show a sunroof?

#2 ·
smart cars never came with a sunroof. Passion models had a Panoroof which is transparent. However, these roofs were prone to crazing and the wrap on your roof may have been installed to hide the crazing which does not affect the structural integrity of the roof panel. If I were you, I would leave well enough alone and not try and remove the wrap.

#3 ·
Your car should have come with a transparent polycarbonate panoramic roof that doesn't open. However, these roofs were notorious for crazing (internal cracking) as well as delamination. The only real fix is to replace the roof, but a cheap workaround is a wrap.

Alternatively, some Passions were ordered with the roof from the Pure, a solid polyurethane roof with a headliner inside and a textured material outside.

We will need a picture to determine which you have, but I suspect it's a panoramic roof that's been wrapped. If that's the case, you can remove the wrap, and it'll reveal what shape the roof is in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.