Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this had been covered, but I need help. Just got this smart from a friend, he says it was running fine with no issues then sputtered once and died. 3 bars of death and wouldn't start. Got a new battery, or new batteries in the fob, replaced the tail lights, random, tried the reset where you hold the brake and run through the gears. Nothing had worked. Currently tearing down and looking for broken wire in the harness. Does anyone have any advice where to start my search?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
793 Posts
Check the clutch actuator. My blue 08 did that one time. Had it towed it to MB and a new clutch actuator fixed it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Already scanned, no codes.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
A basic OBDII scan won't show problems on the canbus, if there are any. Not sure what scanner you're using, but when I got a Smart at the start of the year that's all I had and I did not find it sufficient. When I got a more capable scanner, I was able to locate my issue as a problem with the shift motors. Not suggesting that's your problem, but if you've got a basic OBDII tool, it's probably not going to read much beyond basic engine controls.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts