Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daughter called, one low beam is out and the other is dim. The dim bulb had a discolored glass envelope. Replaced with H7 SilverStar Ultra from Walmart ($47/pair retail). I got them for free, but that's another story. Here is the replacement procedure. Super easy, no tools required!

2009 Smart Car Headlight Bulb Replacement

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,033 Posts
Just make sure you don't get any fingerprints on the glass of the bulb.

The skin oils will cause premature failure...

Great bulbs!

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Very nice step-by-step. I've had more practice than I'd like. But, I wish I'd seen something like this before I made my first change. :)

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
HID and forget it. About the same price as replacing all the blow outs.....
I'm almost sure you're right. The main reason I haven't done it yet is concern about blinding oncoming traffic. I see a lot of HIDs that irritate me with their glare and I don't want to be one of them.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks HMilton !

Excellent review and very timely. Just replaced both low beams in 30 minutes or less (including the round trip to O'Reilly's !) Couldn't have done it as easily without your tutorial. Went with a mid-range upgrade Sylvania that only set me back $32 for the pair.

BTW, in the wife's '08, the tab goes at about 4 o'clock (as viewed from the front of the vehicle)

Mission complete and more importantly, Wifey Likey!

tm

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Long Life Bulb Contest?

Thanks HMilton ! Couldn't have done it as easily without your tutorial.
Glad it helped.

Here's a link to what is claimed to be a H7 Long Life Bulb:
Narva® Long Life H7 55w Bulb
Data Sheet
Claims to last 930 hours, DOT certified & 1500 Lumens. If these do burn out frequently, planning for the next lamp change may be in order.

Let's see who can find the DOT certified bulb with the longest life rating.

·
Super Moderator
17,553 Posts
Properly adjusted (and properly made) HID lamps won't blind traffic.

I've had two* versions of Uptown Dog Co's HID set in my car since delivery and couldn't be happier. You can see wider, farther, and with a much much longer lifespan.

*My first set (his Gen 1 set) began to dim prematurely, so he sent me his new (gen 2) kit right to my door! His new kit features mini ballasts that mount flush to the rubber grommets so it's airtight and very clean!

And installation is not really much work at all! They come with an easy to read instruction sheet too.

Cut a hole in the grommet.
Screw in the ballast.
Connect all connections.
Enjoy! Done in less than 30 minutes :)

You'd have the same kit that others sell for $250 but for much less dough! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Perfect! 10 minutes to go buy the new bulbs...5 minutes to remove the cover, pull the old ones insert the new ones, replace them and close the cover. Thank you!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I recommend doing it when the vehicle is cold, especially if its the drive side. Learned that quickly the first time :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts