Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new member here. My daughter has owned the 2009 Smart Fortwo for four years and it’s given excellent service. Recently, she called broke down on a large hill. She said the car just lost power going up the hill and she pulled it off the road. She couldn’t get it started again. Once I got the car to the house, the battery was completely dead, so while it charged I checked all the fluids. As I poured in radiator coolant, I noticed it just ran out on the ground. Finally got the battery charged, and now the car won’t start. I did find the EGR valve hose off, which could explain the loss of power, but not the starting issue. The battery now spins the engine, but doesn’t act at all like it’s ‘hitting’. I do get fire thru the plugs. I hear the fuel pump, and smell gas at the engine when I crank it. She said there weren’t any lights on the dash when the car started losing power, but since the battery was dead I’ve lost all the codes. Thinking now that there may be some type of low water switch, or even a relay that for some reason is tripped ?? ... Truth is, I’m really kinda at a loss, any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
29,358 Posts
Welcome to SCoA! :)

Unfortunately, the engine may be fried. Needs to be checked out by a good mechanic, but loss of coolant may have overheated the engine to the point of serious damage. The overtemp light on the 451 smart only comes on as the engine temp reaches the danger zone, when it's too late. There is no coolant level monitor or loss of coolant pressure monitor either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s kinda what I was afraid of, and part of the reason I didn’t disassemble that front end to find the leak. I guess I need to do a compression test to check out the engine. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts