Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2009 convert your Smart car to Diesel, new never used CDI turbo Diesel engine

Sorry that some of my first posts are in the for sale section,

I have 4 new from the factory never used complete 2009 CDI smart engines. They are still bolted to the factory crate and are very complete including wiring and alternator. These motors were ordered for a project that never happened. They are new with zero miles on them they have never even been in a car or off the crate for that matter. $1800 each $2000 for the one with A/C OBO. I prefer local pickup but shipping is available.

Please PM me with any questions

Thank You
Jeremiah

·
Registered
663 Posts
Great project engine for someone. I'm surprised there is not more interest. I think one of the big things holding people back would be the difficulty in finding the modules needed to make them actually work. (I think there are two). I also wonder what would be involved in actually connecting them to

a) a 450 CDI (the type that were sold in Canada)

b) a new 451 of North American type.

Maybe Mike T can jump on here and take us to school a bit on this. I would think Canadians with CDI's with blown engines or high mileage engines might be interested.

We have three CDI's and still love the driving experience of the little diesels.

Good luck with the sale.

J

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Great project engine for someone. I'm surprised there is not more interest. I think one of the big things holding people back would be the difficulty in finding the modules needed to make them actually work. (I think there are two). I also wonder what would be involved in actually connecting them to

a) a 450 CDI (the type that were sold in Canada)

b) a new 451 of North American type.

Maybe Mike T can jump on here and take us to school a bit on this. I would think Canadians with CDI's with blown engines or high mileage engines might be interested.

We have three CDI's and still love the driving experience of the little diesels.

Good luck with the sale.

J
AFAIK, there weren't any 451 diesels imported to Canadia. Furthermore, I think the engines are non-interchangeable. So, it might be a difficult swap into a 450 diesel, and for a 451 it would be a COMPLETE swap (similar to the one Leroy did on his 450 -- note everyone said it couldn't be done; it was that tough! props to Leroy for pulling that off! Still, he has a go-by 450 diesel that he scrapped in Canadia to get the part he needed -- all the parts to run these, unless there is an alternate way, would have to come from the EU which would be a bit challenging). I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts