Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my car two years ago and I’m still in love. But it would be nice to have a smoother ride. The tires on the car are front 155/60 R15 74T on back 175/55 R15 77T. I’ve read to get a smoother ride change tires in front to 165/60 R15 (23 Psi) and back 185/55 R15 (29 psi).

I live in southern Arizona, so not too worried about wet roads. I’m retired and do little driving. I don’t need the top of the line tires but I do want safe tires. I need to know the best size tire, psi and does the brand of the tire matter. I’ve been researching this to figure out but the old brain can no longer compute. I’m worried about a tire place selling me something I really don’t need.
Advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I purchased my car two years ago and I’m still in love. But it would be nice to have a smoother ride. The tires on the car are front 155/60 R15 74T on back 175/55 R15 77T. I’ve read to get a smoother ride change tires in front to 165/60 R15 (23 Psi) and back 185/55 R15 (29 psi).

I live in southern Arizona, so not too worried about wet roads. I’m retired and do little driving. I don’t need the top of the line tires but I do want safe tires. I need to know the best size tire, psi and does the brand of the tire matter. I’ve been researching this to figure out but the old brain can no longer compute. I’m worried about a tire place selling me something I really don’t need.

Give Achilles Tires a look.

·
Registered
603 Posts
You don't say what brand of tire you have now, but if they are the stock Continentals, then just about anything will be better.

Consider the Vredestein QUATRAC 5. Inexpensive, but highly rated all season. A 9 out of 10 for ride comfort. Keep in mind that it's a smart and not a Cadillac... Tire Rack carries in the sizes you're considering.
  • Would Buy Again
  • WET
  • Hydroplaning ResistanceWet Traction
  • 9.1/9.2
  • DRY
  • Cornering StabilityDry TractionSteering Response
  • 9.1/9.4/9.1
  • WINTER/SNOW
  • Light Snow TractionDeep Snow TractionIce Traction
  • 9.2/8.6/8.3
  • COMFORT
  • Ride ComfortNoise ComfortTreadwear
  • 9.0/8.5

·
Registered
87 Posts
I’m worried about a tire place selling me something I really don’t need.
To avoid this problem, buy your tires online.

Vredestein Quatrac 5 165/60R15 77H

Vredestein Quatrac 5 185/55R15 82H

Tire garages are unlikely to keep these tires in stock as they are not common sizes, so order online. It's cheaper that way too. Never take advice from a tire garage, as they will try and sell you what is best for them not what is best for you.

·
Registered
603 Posts
If you can afford it, you can have Tire Rack mount tires on a new set of rims. Then all you have to do is bolt them on. I am unimpressed with the tire shops in general. Knowledge is minimal, skills at mounting and balancing are poor. Had a snow tire mounted a while back. Took a closer look at it the other day. The yellow balance dot on the tire is supposed to be next to the valve stem. It was opposite. 2 ounces of weight on the tire to balance. Had them redo it. Dot next to stem. Balance weight went down to 0.5 ounces. And if they are directional tires, oh brother...

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Here’s your choices, from the Tire Rack. All big 3.....

You can have the Tire Rack ship the tires, to anyone of there preferred tire installers. I’ve been running Continentals, since 2008. If you car is over 5 years old, look into buying some new TPMS. They carry them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You don't say what brand of tire you have now, but if they are the stock Continentals, then just about anything will be better.

Consider the Vredestein QUATRAC 5. Inexpensive, but highly rated all season. A 9 out of 10 for ride comfort. Keep in mind that it's a smart and not a Cadillac... Tire Rack carries in the sizes you're considering.
  • Would Buy Again

• WET
  • Hydroplaning ResistanceWet Traction
  • 9.1/9.2

• DRY
  • Cornering StabilityDry TractionSteering Response
  • 9.1/9.4/9.1

• WINTER/SNOW
  • Light Snow TractionDeep Snow TractionIce Traction
  • 9.2/8.6/8.3

• COMFORT
  • Ride ComfortNoise ComfortTreadwear
  • 9.0/8.5
The current tires are Continental.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here’s your choices, from the Tire Rack. All big 3.....

You can have the Tire Rack ship the tires, to anyone of there preferred tire installers. I’ve been running Continentals, since 2008. If you car is over 5 years old, look into buying some new TPMS. They carry them.
My car is a 2009. What are TPMS?

·
Registered
2 Posts

Just replaced the tires on my 2016 Fortwo. Metric sizes limit your choices. I went with Nanking from EBay. About $250 for all 4. I’m delighted the way it rides and handles. 1/2 the price of Continental tires and smoother riding even here in Az with its questionable roads. Just my opinion.😊

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just replaced the tires on my 2016 Fortwo. Metric sizes limit your choices. I went with Nanking from EBay. About $250 for all 4. I’m delighted the way it rides and handles. 1/2 the price of Continental tires and smoother riding even here in Az with its questionable roads. Just my opinion.😊
Do u mean Nankang tires?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts