Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need some guidance here. Had to tow the Smart car home yesterday. Had been missing. Spark plugs replaced, waiting on ignition coil, but was still drivable short distance to work. Well, yesterday it died on the way home, is stuck in gear and the key won't come out. Tried unhooking battery and that didn't help. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. We are down to 1 car - had to get a rental yesterday. Not a good day...:confused:

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Check those threads - can't tell much without seeing the car, but have you checked for any OBD codes? The shifter may need to be pushed up toward the P position, or maybe a small squirt of WD40 as one of the posts suggested. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smart Car out of commission

Is there a place for lubrication underneath the console where the shifter is? Is there where the grease needs to go? Does it happen often that the car will just quit and not be able to shift in or out of gear and not to be able to remove the key? I don't have a smart dealer nearby. We are going to have to do it ourselves.

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
What gear is it stuck in? Can you get it into park? There's a procedure for lubricating the shifter button, as well as for unlocking the shifter if it's in Park. Do you get three bars on the display when you turn power on? :)

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/diy-gear-shift-removal-lube-short-video-5428/?highlight=shifter+lubrication

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/shifter-stuck-park-heres-get-me-home-fix-5578/

Also...do you have brake lights when you step on the brake pedal? How old is the battery? Has the car had any software updates since new?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The video is no longer available, but I printed off the other information. Hopefully, we can get this thing going tonight. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gear switch?

I have a 2004, smart forfour Cdi, and since I've had it I have had occasions where we struggle to set reverse gear, I blamed my husband for leaving it in reverse when parked up the drive!
I prefer to park it in neutral.
Last couple of weeks, when driving along merrily, usually after coming round a corner or of a roundabout, it, seems to slip into neutral, but dash still shows A, revs go up but no movement. So we usually, hand brake, switch off ignition, and then switch back on, and every thing is okay again. This time while still running, I moved gear stick to neutral, manual, reverse, and back again, but only thing on dash was A. This makes me think, it's almost dropped into neutral ( no movement) but switch stuck in A.
One one of these occasions, it wouldn't restart, as in nothing, almost like trying to start when in gear-nothing happens. After 5 mins, and several attempts, it started again.
Worried, as it's getting more often, and smart dealers charge a fortune?, any one with any suggestions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts