Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Smarties!! I have a question for you... I have a friend that is purchasing a 2009 Smart and the previous owners pulled it behind a motorhome. It has two round holes that stick out through the lower grille and I was wondering how hard it would be to remove that hitch and find that lower center grille to replace it. Also if anyone knows of someone looking for that type of hitch I'm sure he would want to get rid of it. Let me know! Thanks:D:D

·
Registered
787 Posts
You will need to remove the front clip (which is the front, plus the 2 front quarter panels) to get to the baseplate mounts. They are bolted to the frame.

Order (and have on hand) the replacement grill so that you can replace it at the same time. More below the picture...

If the tow bar was from Roadmaster you can install a couple of receiver inserts and most folks will hardly notice that there are baseplate mounts on the car.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
That towbar is an asset, not a liability. Keep it. You never know when you might want to sell the car and the towbar widens your market.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I wish it would fit my 450.
The car also probably has wiring for tail lights and signals from the RV, etc.
That equipment was not cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts