Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 2009 our CEO got this idea to go out and buy some Smart cars as comoany vehicles.. we had one of each, a passion, a Passion cabrio , and a Brabus Cabrio...

I found I liked the ride in the Passion the best of the 3.. the Cabrio was fun too... the radios were crappy in all of them.

we had them about a year and he got the idea they werent safe and sold them all. none of us were given the chance to buy them (it was a supposed safety thing)..

now im going to go get one (he isnt with the company any more..and im a partner now..)

I found a pretty Loaded 2015 Passion that is on my A-list right now.. (surround sound, heated seats, rev counter, leather,cruise,brabus wheels)..

what can I expect going from 2009 to 2015? are the cars still as fun to drive as they used to be? are there options I should make sure i have? no brainers?

-Christopher

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
The tranny will shift a little faster and the ride is far more compliant. (smooth without being wishy washy) Leathers seem a little softer as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just got done driving my new smart about 1000 miles in the last 2 days Ive had it!! definitely know why i got one again.. forgot how much fun they are to drive..

the stereo is LOADS better.. nice to actually have more than 2 speakers!!! once i get my android Navi in i'll have bluetooth, GPS, etc that im use to having on my other 2 cars.. (Volt and wrangler)...

I still like to shift manually better than the auto.. I do kind of miss the paddle shifters.. I seem to remember the 2009 having those..
-Christopher

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
You got the factory cruise control, so no paddles for you. Hopefully that has been fixed on the new C453. :)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Yep, opted out of cruise on my '13 for that specific reason. Don't miss cruise as it isn't needed for the type of driving I do. You could always ad aftermarket cruise if you feel it is needed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didnt realize it was the cruise that nixxed the paddles.. but cruise was a no-brainer for me.. I rememebr the 09 Brabus had no cruise and it was the one thing I really wish it had..

so for me, foregoing the paddles for cruise is well worth it.. I do roadtrip quite a bit..

people may call me craxy for road-tripping in a Smart but I really always have found it fun on the road.. and of course the obvious advantages in the city for parking, maneuvering, etc.

-Christopher

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think there is a huge difference in the cars between the earlier models and the later models.

While our 2008 convertible was in for service we were given a 2014 coupe. What a big difference, the 2014 just felt noticeably more refined, shifted better and was smoother all around.

We're trading our 2008 in on a 2015 that we just ordered. We got every option that was available and opted to get the paddle shifters over the cruise/trip computer. I think I can add cruise control myself, I doubt I can add paddle shifters though.

We also couldn't get an armrest with the Crystal Grey Leather, you'd think for $1450.00 they'd offer an armrest.

You also have to choose between LED daytime running lights or fog lights as you can't have both. We opted for the LEDs, we think they look cooler.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also have the LED's instead of the fogs.. I wanted fogs but now that oive driven my new smart at night for several hundred miles the lights are pretty good.. and im likely going to go to a 2700K HID setup anyway which will light things up more.

I know there used to be aftermarket cruise kits for the pre-11 models.. im thinking they would work on your new 15?

the trip computer doesnt really do much unless i just havent learned to use it yet..

it has an MPG instant and a couple average counters.. plus an average speed and time of trip.. but theres no distance to empty. . and the elapsed time seems to be just whe the car is turned on.. which if im on a roadtrip i try and maintain an overall average speed including stops..

I ordered an aftermarket NAVI (the S150).. the android S150 will allow me to do torque, as well as operate my GPS tracking / home automation systems as well.. big plusses over the facotry NAVI... I played with the factory Nav and it was no good.. I got surround sound as 2 speakers wouldnt cut it for me..

my leather seats have an armrest for the driver seat.. the seats are heated..

are the mirrors heated?

-Christopher

·
17,346 Posts
I know there used to be aftermarket cruise kits for the pre-11 models.. im thinking they would work on your new 15?

the trip computer doesnt really do much unless i just havent learned to use it yet..

it has an MPG instant and a couple average counters.. plus an average speed and time of trip.. but theres no distance to empty. . and the elapsed time seems to be just whe the car is turned on.. which if im on a roadtrip i try and maintain an overall average speed including stops..

I ordered an aftermarket NAVI (the S150).. the android S150 will allow me to do torque, as well as operate my GPS tracking / home automation systems as well.. big plusses over the facotry NAVI... I played with the factory Nav and it was no good.. I got surround sound as 2 speakers wouldnt cut it for me..

my leather seats have an armrest for the driver seat.. the seats are heated..

are the mirrors heated?

-Christopher
Yep! The Cruise Control can be added to any 451 that already doesn't have a Cruise Control. The paddles? Now that is an entirely different story...

There is a time counter that runs when the car is started and there's a time counter that runs until you reset it. You can find the latter on the main screen. next to the "RESET" text. It just counts the hours and minutes since you last hit the reset button.

I think there's also a remaining range indicator as well, but it's been so long since I've driven a smart with a factory trip computer that I can't remember.

And yup, the mirrors are heated! Turn on the rear window defroster to use them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm not sure if the smart-specific cruise system will work or not, if it doesn't work now I'm sure someone will come up with some solution (edit: see post above for answer). I wasn't too worried about giving up the cruise, but for sure didn't want to give up the paddles.

I'm thinking a scangauge or ultragauge will work in place of the trip computer. I would have got it if I could, but oh-well.

We didn't get the $1200.00 smart stereo, but we did do the surround sound. I figured if I wanted the smart unit one would come up used one day for a lot less than $1200.00, but putting in the surround sound as cleanly as smart does it would be a project.

I think the Crystal Grey driver's seat has a pocket on the bolster that precludes the use of the armrest. I'll get one that mounts to the hinge or rests on the floor.

According to the build sheet the mirrors are electric and heated (V21) as a standard feature. Also standard is the rain and light sensor (V54).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Does anyone know if adding after market cruise will void the warranty?

Which is now 4 years, 50,000 miles, it's about time. I guess by now Mercedes is confident they have all the bugs worked out.

·
17,346 Posts
I'm thinking a scangauge or ultragauge will work in place of the trip computer. I would have got it if I could, but oh-well.

I think the Crystal Grey driver's seat has a pocket on the bolster that precludes the use of the armrest. I'll get one that mounts to the hinge or rests on the floor.
In my opinion, the SG and the UG are better than the computer smart offers anyway. More customizable, more gauges (even all sorts of temp readings and sensor reading) and you get to keep your paddles!

When the cars were facelifted for the 2011 Model Year, seat pockets became standard for passions and up.

As for armrests, Matt's armrest is arguably the best aftermarket armrest on the market by far. Unmatched quality and I love the design. Though, I'm not sure if he still makes them anymore...

geniusparts.com

Otherwise, Smart Madness also has a variety of armrests...

Armrests Online Store - smart car Parts and Accessories

Does anyone know if adding after market cruise will void the warranty?
It'll only void the parts of the warranty the Cruise will affect. So, the throttle, the wiper stalk, etc.

Of course, if the car has a problem that could be caused by it, you should remove it before taking it in for service.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the rain sensor caught me off guard!! I had been on the road a couple hours with the new smart and it started to rain... im looking around to figure out how to turn on the wipers when they just came on.. and that sensor is pretty darn accurate!!

I didnt think about using the scangauge.. I know I have one of those laying around in my garage. . im gonna have to get it out and plug it in.. see what it does.. though once I get myu S150 NAVI unit I'll use Torque on it.

im really impressed with the quality of the surround sound.. its pretty good esp considering being in a small space.. easily up to par with the Alpine in the Jeep wrangler and pretty close to the Bose in the Volt.

havent got it to succesfully read an M3U playlist from my USB stick yet.. though it does play the music tracks so I know it can read the stick. likely picky about its formatting.
-Christopher

·
17,346 Posts
the rain sensor caught me off guard!! I had been on the road a couple hours with the new smart and it started to rain... im looking around to figure out how to turn on the wipers when they just came on.. and that sensor is pretty darn accurate!! .

havent got it to succesfully read an M3U playlist from my USB stick yet.. though it does play the music tracks so I know it can read the stick. likely picky about its formatting.
Yep! And if you engage Reverse with the Automatic Wipers activated, the rear wiper turns on by itself!

The smart headunits are stupidly picky with formatting. I don't even think they'll read a preset playlist at all.

Also, when using a USB drive, format the drive to FAT32. NTFS will read too slow and HFS+ (Apple devices) won't read at all.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah, when we were at the dealer going over the option list I had to ask him why the rain sensor wasn't there anymore. "Because it's now standard", was his answer. Duh.

I'm glad to hear the surround sound is good, I debated on that one, at $490.00 it isn't exactly cheap.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep! And if you engage Reverse with the Automatic Wipers activated, the rear wiper turns on by itself!

The smart headunits are stupidly picky with formatting. I don't even think they'll read a preset playlist at all.

Also, when using a USB drive, format the drive to FAT32. NTFS will read too slow and HFS+ (Apple devices) won't read at all.
I used FAT32 on a USB 2.0 stick.. I tried one of my ultrafast USB 3.0 sticks but the car didnt see it..

according to the Manual its supposed to use playlists and has a button for it and I see my playlist filename on the screen but it doesnt play it.. I'll get there... it will likely be just as Picky as the 'MyLink' in my Volt.. that one is a PITA to get music to play in.

my Jeep seems to Play anything I toss at it... if its wav, mp3, etc it plays it.. even reads m3u playists that are output from itunes which are inherently messy.. so I wrote a script to clean them up.. but didnt work in the smart yet.. but it will.. well that is until my android head unit arrives then I wont worry about it.
-Christopher

·
17,346 Posts
I used FAT32 on a USB 2.0 stick.. I tried one of my ultrafast USB 3.0 sticks but the car didnt see it..

-Christopher
Ooooh, I missed the M3U part. There's your problem most likely. I've read my manual back to back and I don't remember M3U being a supported file/playlist format.

·
Registered
271 Posts
just got done driving my new smart about 1000 miles in the last 2 days Ive had it!! definitely know why i got one again.. forgot how much fun they are to drive..

the stereo is LOADS better.. nice to actually have more than 2 speakers!!! once i get my android Navi in i'll have bluetooth, GPS, etc that im use to having on my other 2 cars.. (Volt and wrangler)...

I still like to shift manually better than the auto.. I do kind of miss the paddle shifters.. I seem to remember the 2009 having those..
-Christopher

I believe in your other post you mentioned having cruse control. With the smart you can only have one or the other. If you have cruse you do not get paddle shifters. :-( well some of us have both :) thanks Steven for the aftermarket set up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe in your other post you mentioned having cruse control. With the smart you can only have one or the other. If you have cruse you do not get paddle shifters. :-( well some of us have both :) thanks Steven for the aftermarket set up.
ha! its actually a case of "I shoulda tried that first!" syndrome. I thought by getting the factory cruise package I was going to get a cool trip computer.. what i really got is a mini-trip computer that doesnt do as much as i thought it would, and of course the factory cruise.

the paddle shifters arent a big deal to me as i can use the stick when I want to shift manually.

I hear the reason that you cant have both is because of lack of wiring or inputs to the SAM?
-Christopher

1 - 20 of 28 Posts