Smart Car of America Forum banner

2010 451 with #2 cylinder almost 0

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  nathansstory 
#1 ·
Bought from the original owner, at 129k #2 cylinder is now almost at zero compression. My shop tried all the techniques making damn sure everything is covered before teardown.

I was looking at it yesterday. How the heck do they pull the head? My guess is dropping the motor. I gave the shop the OK to tear into it. I want it for the back of my Motorhome. (I might have a rack build for the Smart to ride on).

So, this common or just part of Smart Car life?

#2 ·
I don't know how common it is. I bought a non-runner myself relatively recently and need to drop the engine and see quite what the issue is and either replace or repair. I've seen where some folks have somehow managed to get the head off with the engine assembly in place, but it doesn't look easy.

#3 ·
Much easier to remove the entire drivetrain and have the head reworked from there. Pretty sure you'll find burned valve seats; if so, better to replace all the valves, seals, etc. while the head is off. Also a good time to check the water pump, thermostat, belts, timing chain, etc. Again, much easier to do those with the engine out of the car. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.