Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, New to this group. I've had a 2010 since Jan 2010 and while I love it, I've had several problems. It only has 68,000 miles and already has a new transmission (45k), new brakes, new tires, and the bulbs burn out every few months...
The latest issue is that I seem to have an engine that won't hold pressure in the pistons. My mechanic (who I've known since I was a kid) said that the engine overheated and died, and then I was running a few miles on the battery only. They've tried everything and he said the problem seems to be that it won't hold pressure any longer, and thus I need a new engine, but since it costs more than the car is worth, I'm afraid its time to say goodbye to SSSMART.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it something I should talk to my dealer about? Smart issue?
Please help!

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
28,795 Posts
It's a known issue for some 451 smarts - burned valves. "..I was running a few miles on the battery only..." - could you explain more about that? :)

PS - merged the duplicate threads...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
So I was on the highway and something felt weird, like I wasn't getting enough power. I noticed the Battery Indicator came on and I pulled off the highway. While i was waiting at the light, the car died and i had to push it over to the side. My mechanic said there were specific codes that he found, but I'm talking to him tomorrow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah, sounds like you lost the belt that runs the alternator and water pump. Location? If you decide to let the car go, I may be interested.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like you broke the belt that turns the alternator. Did the overheat (temperature) light come on also? :)
The overheating light did NOT go on. The battery indicator came on and I pulled off the highway about a mile later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, sounds like you lost the belt that runs the alternator and water pump. Location? If you decide to let the car go, I may be interested.
I need to talk to my mechanic in person tomorrow, and see what my options are, but I will definitely keep that in mind!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I need to talk to my mechanic in person tomorrow, and see what my options are, but I will definitely keep that in mind!
I'm in Chicago. The car is currently with a reputable mechanic, who has been working on it for years.

·
Super Moderator
28,795 Posts
Do you mean a cel? Because I've never heard of an overheat or temp light on 451
You should see it illuminate when you turn the key to position II, prior to starting the car. It illuminates along with the other warning lights. The only time you'll see it when driving is when the car is within seconds of overheating....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Stephen, Sorry for the delay, vivid craziness...
I spoke with my mechanic, the engine is totally shot... needs a new one, that costs more than the car is worth.
I'd love to talk about selling you the car. Is there a way to DM here?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts