Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another of my threads, I keep separating them so that when someone else is searching they don't have to dig through a pile of unrelated stuff to get to the relevant bits.

For reference, here's the thread about separating the subassembly from the body. Initially I intended to repair the original motor, I still do, but that's going to be a much longer project so to speed things up I found a used motor with 65K miles on it to swap in. I got ahead of myself a little bit and ordered it before I was really ready for it, so I had to pickup my pace a bit to get things ready for it.

Here's the "new" motor, if it runs as well as it looks I'll be happy. It came with an array of extras still bolted on, the only one I explicitly asked for was the intake manifold since the other one was melted. Kindly overlook the yellow blob, I clipped out the shipping info.
64224



I had taken a bit of steel tubing and cut it in half, bent up on side to get the right angle, and welded them together to make a lock for the flywheel. It's worked pretty well thus far, not as nice looking as the factory tool, but does the job.
64225


Today's primary task was getting a flywheel installed. The service manual calls for 20Nm + 90 degrees. Now I'm ready for the clutch, but I'm out of time today.
64226
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Comments and advice welcome, I'm not terribly experienced with this process so any help is appreciated.
I think for the clutch I will 3D print an alignment tool; I believe a shaft 15.5mm in diameter and 32mm long will fit the flywheel nicely, and the splines in the clutch are slightly larger at 16.75mm in diamter. That should allow me to put the tool in, place the clutch in place and have it aligned well enough....I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The old clutch is beyond tolerances so this is on hold a few days while I wait for a new Sachs K70532-01 to arrive. In the interim I'll be working to see if I can get the old wiring harness repaired with bits from the partial that came with the motor.

Edit:
According to specs clutch thickness should be 3.1mm with a maximum of 2.0mm wear. Existing clutch is worn beyond that limit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I swapped out the wiring harness tonight. It seems the plug for the oil pressure sensor is broken on both harnesses. It has a single wire leading to it and is right next to the oil filter; anyone know where to find a replacement connector that doesn't involve chopping up a third wiring harness?

Here's what I believe to be a crop of what the plug looks like.
64271
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In case some images might help someone out there, I took time to get some images of the various connections. I don't think I missed any, but if I did, kindly point it out.

Starting at the front of the motor, the dark connector which is circled is the A/C pump clutch.
64285


There's on on the throttle body
64286



Then three more...
64287


Back on top....
64288



And I somehow missed this one in the last shot....
64289



Following along there's an O2 sensor for the cat...
64293




There's two on the underside of the motor.
64290



Two grounds here, the brown one is not part of this harness..

64291


And lastly, my broken oil pressure connector which I need to figure out how I am going to fix it.
64292
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
New motor mounts arrived today. Engine and trans reunited, new mounts installed, and assembly is back on the subframe but not torqued down.
As is often the case, I wish after the fact that I had taken more pictures.
The reluctor rings on the axles looked pretty sad, so I went at one of them with a wire wheel and pick and it cleaned up nicely. Much of the original paint was flaking off, so I picked at it to remove the loose spots, which was most of it. The rings seem to have moe service life left, so I'm going to be lazy and just repaint. I have rings should they be needed later. Need to remove the other side and clean it up too, then paint them both and a few small patches of surface rust on the De Dion tube itself.

I'll try and remember to get a before/after picture of the rings.
Edit: Here they are; side by side, one cleaned the other not.
64317


And for those who might wonder what a worn out motor mount looks like, the rubber starts cracking and ripping, eventually separating entirely as in this case.
64318
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top