Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had a thread for this, but apparently not, so here it is...

Earlier this year I picked up a 2010 Smart ForTwo W451 junker as a parts car. It arrived and since I didn't already have too many other projects and just a tiny bit of sanity left, I figured I'd see if I could get it going again. I am not very experienced as a mechanic, but I have done a lot of my own routine maintenance for years, brakes, bushings, tierods ends, balljoints, the odd wheel bearing here and there, etc so this is going to be a learning experience.

I prefer to have a thread on an issue, but it's nice to have a thread for the car itself and that's this thread.
I hope to link from this to whatever work gets done on the car.

First off I needed to remove the drivertrain assembly.
That went pretty well, in retrospect I wish I had made some plugs for the brakelines, it would have saved me a lot of brake flushing. If anyone knows the thread specs, kindly share them.

Then I had to figure out how to remove the enigne from the sub assembly and separate the engine from the transmission. It's in this thread that it was apparent what most likely happened to cause the car to fail. There's a mark on the engine bay insulation where it appears a failed belt hit the insulation, since that powers the water pump, it overheated and melted some of the intake manifold. The head is also warped, but it might be salvageable. I'll try to get to that at some point, but I went ahead and bought a replacement motor.

Over here I swap in the new motor and get it running.

In the process, I discover all 3 motor mounts had failed so I replaced the motor mounts while I was reassembling.

Once I got it running, I wanted to see if the rest of the drivetrain was operable so I pulled it out of the garage and the noise suggested something was not right in the front end.
I found a broken front coil spring and I suspect I will find other problem as I go.

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
That happens, when you purchase a basket case vehicle.

good luck on your repair Journey. Sounds like you comming along there.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That happens, when you purchase a basket case vehicle.

good luck on your repair Journey. Sounds like you comming along there.
The original intent was to just part it out and keep the choice bits on a shelf for my 2008, but after some thought I decided it would make a better platform to learn on without risking my 2008, which is my primary car (not that I drive much these days). It has been a fruitful exercise thus far.

I didn't note it earlier, but the odometer reads 73253, which for some reason I was thinking it had 130k on it, but I checked the notes and my memory is at fault. The replacement motor has 65k on it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The front struts and springs finally arrived and were installed.
While giving it a quick test, the car started to surge, then died and did not have enough electrical power to turn over the battery.
I distinctly remember thinking I should test the alternator when the sub assembly was out...
So I suspect my next bit will be testing the alternator, with what I expect will be replacement afterwards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts